1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 14mm or Fisheye converter

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Wouter, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Wouter

Wouter New to TalkEmount

May 1, 2016
    Wouter Verhoeven
    Hi All,

I'm not much of a poster, but now I've got a question that I can't get answered.

A few weeks ago I bought a second hand Samyang 14mm in e-mount. The person I bought it from is pretty thrustworthy but I think I just got a bad sample. The sharpness in the corners really dissapoint me, even stopped down to F11. Also, the right side of the frame looks softer than the left side.

So I'm going to sell the lens and I'm thinking about buying the fisheye converter (057FEC)
    for the 28mm f/2. Now I would like to ask here: Is there anyone who has experience with the converter?
    I'm very curious to know if it would perform better than the Samyang 14mm. The af is a bonus and also that its a converter is convenient for carrying around. I don't mind a bit of fuzzy corners but the Samyang was just bad.

If the Samyang should definitely be the sharper and better option than I could consider buying another copy after I sell mine. I just can't decide and reviews of the converter don't really give me any conclusions either.

Any advise is much appreciated and I would like to know what you would rather get: The fisheye converter for the 28mm f/2 or the Samyang (rokinon/etc) 14mm in e mount.

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I am a bit confused about your options. A Fish Eye is a VERY different look from a wide lens like the Samyang...to me they are not comparable at all. (unless you are planning to post process the fish eye to make it look normal)
    I had the Samyang and I guess my copy was not good either because I was never impressed with it so I sold it then got the FE 16-35mm F4 which i sold after getting the Tamron 15-30mm F2.8.
    I know there are many reviews that claim the Samyang is very good (although in the comparisons I have seen, my Tamron beats it) so maybe buy from a store that allows returns just in case this time.
    good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wouter

Wouter New to TalkEmount

May 1, 2016
    Wouter Verhoeven
    Thank you for your reply Shaolin.

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm thinking about getting another 14mm samyang or getting the 16mm adapter for the Sony 28mm f2.

The reason being is that I'm not happy with my current samyang. Next time I will definitely buy at my local camera dealer that accepts returns.
    I want an ultra wide/fisheye is for some fun shots of architecture/indoors. Also for video&photos of party's with friends and some paid club photography.

Your Tamron seems amazing and I've seen reviews before but it's way above what I can justify to pay for a single lens. I'm a hobby enthousiast.

I don't know why you say that my options are confusing, there's only a 2mm difference. One is a converter and offers autofocus. The other is all manual and a bit wider.

Other options are appreciated as well, although I think I did my research.

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    By confusing I meant that a rectilinear wide lens like the Samyang 14mm will give you a very different image from a Fisheye lens so to me they are not comparable/exchangeable. Also the 2mm make a pretty good difference when you are in such ultra wide lens ranges.

I have had only one Fish eye in my life..it was a converter for the e-mount 16mm lens and I did have some fun with it but I also had the Ultra wide adapter because they gave me very different looks and results. Looks like you will be happy with either option though.
    In any case, I can only speak from my own preferences. While I wouldnt mind owning another Fisheye lens, if I didnt have a normal Wide lens first, then I would get that one before getting a Fisheye.
    The Samyang is also faster than adding the adapter to your 28mm so in a club that extra speed can come in handy to keep ISO lower of course.
    For me, I would go with the Samyang again just because of the speed, non-fisheye look, and what "should be" better IQ. But I can see the advantages of AF by using the adapter for your current Sony 28mm and being able to just take it off and have a 28mm focal range with little time lost.
    Regards

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wouter

Wouter New to TalkEmount

May 1, 2016
    Wouter Verhoeven
    You're right saying the 2mm makes a difference in that range. And maybe I will be happy with a ultra wide instead of a fisheye. What are your thoughts on the 21mm adapter? Looking at an ultra wide opens up completely different options though. I don't mind manual focus, as focusing in low light conditions is tough with the a7ii already. I am used to using zone focusing. That's why the difference between 2.8 and 3.5 is neglectible. (plus the same samyang lens with same optics is available as a t3.1 cine so there isn't an actual big difference in light).

Hard choices. Maybe I should just try out and return if I'm not happy. Or win a lottery and buy everything Hahaha.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I was really never in the market for the 28mm and adapters so wouldnt know much about its performance, sorry. :/
    About the Samyang Cine lense rated at 3.1....I undertand your point BUT that will be assuming that the Sony will actually have the same Tstop as its rated Fstop...havent seen tests about that so cannot comment.
    I think that indeed buy and return will be the best option...maybe someone has experience with both and can add some more comments here. :)

7. Wouter

Wouter New to TalkEmount

May 1, 2016
    Wouter Verhoeven
    I would like to thank you again for your comments :) And yes I'm hoping someone will comment that has experience with both.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I have the Samsung 14. I use the in camera lens correction app when using the lens and am very satisfied with the results.