Samyang 14/2.8 vs FE 16-35/4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by izTheViz, Apr 19, 2017.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Found a second hand Samyang for 230 Euros in mint condition.
    According to this review Best Samyang / Rokinon 14mm Review With Sample Photo - Alik Griffin the Samyang actually performs more like a one stop darker lens than what it is. My idea is to get it for Astrophotography. But I am now doubting.
    Anyone using it on FF ? Anyone owning both ?

Thanks

Yannis

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I own both. The Samyang is significantly wider, and has good performance for Astro in the few test shots I've done. You can do Astro with the 16-35 as well (done more of that) and it's a much better all-rounder, but it is slower.

What you want to look at for light tranmission is the T-stop (like an F-stop but only affects light, not DOF); the Samyang has the DOF of a 2.8 lens at 2.8, but the light gathering capacity of a 'perfect' lens with no light loss stopped down to 3.3. So you lose about half a stop of light. The T-stop for the FE 16-35 is about 4.5, also about half a stop darker. DXOmark reports these numbers for all lenses it tests by the way.

Conclusion: the Samyang is still almost a full stop brighter. Which means the difference between e.g. a 20 vs 30 second exposure. Plus it's wider, so you can expose longer without getting motion artifacts (smearing). Double win. But it is bulky, no AF, and less practical overall. If you like Milky Way shots, however, it's hard to pass up. Certainly for the quality you get at that price.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot.

4. Scardosov

Scardosov New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2017
    Any coment with Rokinon 85M-E 85mm F1.4 Fixed Lens, and Rokinon FE14M-E 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens are good choices for beginner in a Sony a7 II .? Are both full frame? Any experiences good or bad with these brand, before jumping to high quality brands like Zeiss. Regards and thanks in advance. Santiago. México

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    All are full-frame and offer excellent image quality, particularly for the money, but they are large, heavy, and manual focus. The 14/2.8 does not have a real competitor, and ultrawides are relatively easy to focus manually; for the 85/1.4 I would look long and hard at the new Sony 85/1.8 AF lens.

6. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Got mine (14) yesterday.
    Well, first off, the lens has to be calibrated for proper infinity focus. I will do it, pretty simple as per the tutorials available on internet.
    Second, it's sharp on the A7 but unusable on the A7R. Soft, especially on the right edge. I guess it's even better using APS-C sensor. Will test it on my 5N.
    Don't know yet if I will keep it. The goal was to pair it with the A7R initially for night landscapes and astro. The DR on my A7R is slightly better than on the A7.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Scardosov

Apr 22, 2017
    Thank you... I'm beginning; so it looks like a good choice, before upgrading to the big leagues..

8. Scardosov

Apr 22, 2017

Thanks SC

9. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Sold it. Crap copy or bad lens I don't know but not a keeper. The right side of the frame is soft even stopped down to F8.