Samyang 14/2.8 vs FE 16-35/4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by izTheViz, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Found a second hand Samyang for 230 Euros in mint condition.
    According to this review Best Samyang / Rokinon 14mm Review With Sample Photo - Alik Griffin the Samyang actually performs more like a one stop darker lens than what it is. My idea is to get it for Astrophotography. But I am now doubting.
    Anyone using it on FF ? Anyone owning both ?

Thanks

Yannis

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I own both. The Samyang is significantly wider, and has good performance for Astro in the few test shots I've done. You can do Astro with the 16-35 as well (done more of that) and it's a much better all-rounder, but it is slower.

What you want to look at for light tranmission is the T-stop (like an F-stop but only affects light, not DOF); the Samyang has the DOF of a 2.8 lens at 2.8, but the light gathering capacity of a 'perfect' lens with no light loss stopped down to 3.3. So you lose about half a stop of light. The T-stop for the FE 16-35 is about 4.5, also about half a stop darker. DXOmark reports these numbers for all lenses it tests by the way.

Conclusion: the Samyang is still almost a full stop brighter. Which means the difference between e.g. a 20 vs 30 second exposure. Plus it's wider, so you can expose longer without getting motion artifacts (smearing). Double win. But it is bulky, no AF, and less practical overall. If you like Milky Way shots, however, it's hard to pass up. Certainly for the quality you get at that price.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot.