• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Samyang 135/2 (Rokinon)

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
IMG_0718.JPG
   ---            
Ooc jpg no edit.

Gary Alan Box

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Gary Alan Box
If this lens bears Sony or Zeiss logo, people would gladly pay $1400 for it.
This is a reason why they haven't not release such a focal length due to the goodness of Samyang 135mm f2.
on a7m2
View attachment 75928

View attachment 75929

View attachment 75931

View attachment 76010

View attachment 76019
Incredible quality about these images and I've heard so many great things about this lens. I see you are using it on a A7RII. I use the a6000 and if I was thinking of getting a lens for portraits not sure if the 85mm f1.4 or this lens would be better option on the APS-C body.

Gary

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
Incredible quality about these images and I've heard so many great things about this lens. I see you are using it on a A7RII. I use the a6000 and if I was thinking of getting a lens for portraits not sure if the 85mm f1.4 or this lens would be better option on the APS-C body.

Gary
The 85 1.4 is nowhere near the quality of the 135. I have had 2 copies of the 85 and both were good but not great. If you don't mind manual focus the canon FD 85 1.8 is smaller and a better performer. I also had the "dream lens" 85 1.2 by zonghi. It was sharper than the 85 1.4 but it fell apart and I returned it. Same thing happened with my 50mm .95, fell apart also after about 2 months of use.

SamSS

TalkEmount Veteran
Gary
a7m2 body was used for those 5 images.
Gary, please consider that the Samyang 135mm f2 becomes 200mm without any stabilization on the a6000 body.
Good balancing act, monopod or high shutter speed will be necessary.
No doubt that it's a good lens with affordable price tag.
Selling points of this lens when shooting wide open are: not much CA, sharp, sharpness coverage almost 75-80% of the entire frame.
So, placing a subject at the rule of third wide open won't be a problem.

The 85 1.4 is nowhere near the quality of the 135. I have had 2 copies of the 85 and both were good but not great. If you don't mind manual focus the canon FD 85 1.8 is smaller and a better performer. I also had the "dream lens" 85 1.2 by zonghi. It was sharper than the 85 1.4 but it fell apart and I returned it. Same thing happened with my 50mm .95, fell apart also after about 2 months of use.
I use the Mitakon f1.2 for portraiture ocassions only or maybe didn't use it enough. Mine still doing fine.

Last edited:

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
Postman brought mine today. I did a quick walkaround and am DELIGHTED with the results. Great rendering and sharpness. It was already evening, so pix came out darkish. Might be some vignetting problems, I'll have to check in better conditions. This pic was not edited too much.
50397146601_6ddff3b807_b.jpg
   ---            
LLK00832.jpg
by Al Walzem, on Flickr

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
Looks like a wonderful lens for portraits... I like that focal length on both APSC and full frame cameras when shooting portraits. Rokinon is offering some very nice lenses...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
The 135mm was once my favorite for full frame shooting. Now, however, I am more lokely to use 200mm or 100mm...

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
The 135mm was once my favorite for full frame shooting. Now, however, I am more lokely to use 200mm or 100mm...
Let me guess. You used Canon? Their 135L was a joy to use, and relatively small and light.

BTW, I have to return mine. There is some kind of centering problem. Huge vignetting--but only across the top of the frame.

Latest threads

Top Bottom