1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 12mm lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by shotupdave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I am lookig at this lens, any thoughts on its performance?

Dave

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    It is quite likely that the Samyang 12mm, if it's for E-mount, is the same as the Rokinon, as Rokinon, Samyang, Bower and a couple other brand names that escape me are all made by the same company. There are a few threads on here about the Rokinon 12mm f/2.0:

https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7565&highlight=Rokinon+12mm

https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6288&highlight=Rokinon+12

https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=6644&highlight=Rokinon+12mm+f/2

I don't have one, but it looks good so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Got this lens for my birthday from my brother and my father, its in the mail cant wait :D

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Quality seems pretty good. Only problem is heavy vignetting at f/2, so for landscapes and architectural work it's better to stop down this lens.

5. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I see that you have the Touit 2.8/12, do you suffer from the same problem wide open?

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, the Touit doesn't vignette much at all. But keep in mind that it's a stop slower, so the Samyang isn't much worse at the same aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    I can't recommend this lens highly enough. At $600 cheaper than the Zeiss Touit it's an amazing performer. The vignetting is the only downside I notice frequently but it usually isn't even noticeable with the way I post process, I enjoy some vignetting. It only gets out of control when I use a circular polarizing and 10 stop ND filter, then I just crop in a tiny bit or use one of my Lightroom presets with a lot of vignetting to match. It's the first manual lens I've ever had but once I memorized the hyperfocal distance of my most used apertures I fell in love with the huge depth of field of this ultra wide and I barely miss auto focus at all. Great combo with my A6000, compared with my old Nikon 10-24mm it's very compact and light but still feels solid.

• Like Like x 3
  8. shotupdave

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Your first manual lens, now I feel real real old. I guess you focusing a 4x5 under a focusing cloth and using a lupe would be an adventure for you. My first camera was a Argus C3 with a permanent 50mm ƒ3.5 lens nd the fastest shutter speed was 1/300th.

My darkroom before I got an enlarger was a clamp lamp with a 16 watt bulb and a piece of glass and plywood so I could make contact sheets. I do miss the days of smelling stop bath and fixer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Haha well I'm 31 years old but am pretty late to the game, just got serious a year ago about my photography. Before that I only had point and shoots. I did shoot film until a decade ago when I first went digital but never developed my own.