1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samyang 12mm f2 for astrophotography

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tillman, Aug 7, 2015.

1. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I got this lens last month and had a chance to try it out on a camping trip to Eastern Oregon, specifically I was hoping to get some nice star shots with minimal streaking. This lens is impressive wide open, stopping it down doesn't really make it noticeably sharper, the thing just starts out sharp! In the past I had an ultra wide zoom that didn't produce acceptable results until f8-11, which doesn't work too well for this sort of thing. Here are some OOC examples, I shot raw as well but haven't had time to process them all that much, but these should give an idea of the ability of this lens. I think it was money well spent. DSC03448.JPG DSC03453.JPG DSC03511.JPG

Just for another example of the clarity of this lens wide open, I was taking a picture of a misting nozzle to show a friend, at f2 it's quite sharp.
    DSC02609.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    #3 rocks! Whereabouts in eastern Oregon were you? I may have to ride out there some day. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Thanks for the compliment, I continue to be impressed by the Sony 16mp sensor, it greatly outperforms the first generation m43 I used before I started using Sony gear.
    With exception of #4 these were taken at Clyde Holiday state park campground near Mt. Vernon, Or. There are lots of interesting museums and interpretive centers in the area, if you visit you'd do well to give yourself a few days to take it in!