1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samsung quitting the camera business?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by addieleman, Nov 25, 2015.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I confess that looking at a Samsung camera has never crossed my mind. And I consider myself a camera enthusiast. So you'd think I'd at least know something about them. But I don't. Whether that's down to my lack of curiosity or their lack of marketing, I don't know. But it's not a good sign. Here's hoping the employees can be shifted to some other product line. Lord knows Samsung has plenty of them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Too bad! Always a loss when a company pulls out from a market.
    Samsung's problem isn't technology or bad product. Their point and shoots challenged the established brands in a big way, and their cellphones are top dog in the Android arena.

But unlike Panasonic, Samsung didn't have a niche with their mirrorless camera line. Once Panasonic got established as a video capable platform, their place in the market was secured. Samsung introduced another mount standard, no migration path from previous cameras or lenses, no gateway product to pro-sumer line, and their cameras didn't stand out in any major way in the competitive mirrorless arena. It's a "Winner take all"
    fight. Sony was the closest rival, and we all know how the a6000 knocked everything off the table. Canon, Nikon, nothing close, Samsung, at least APS-C, but like David stated, I never had Samsung on my radar screen. Too little too late.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Less competition is rarely a good thing for the consumer. I only briefly considered Samsung, but I steered clear for this very concern. The thing is they really have arguably the best APS-C mirror less camera on the market in the NX1. Not even the a6000 can match it's features and from what I read many including DXO rate their sensor higher. Well what about lenses? I was shocked when I saw their lens line-up was actually more complete than Sony's APS-C line-up. It's complete with standard and telephoto 2.8 zooms.

So what went wrong? It's hard to say. Maybe not being viewed as a camera company doomed it from day 1. One could easily argue Sony knew breaking into this business without credibility was impossible and the reason they started by acquiring Konica Minolta. It goes to show thriving in the camera business is more than just making a great product.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

One of the better A6000 competitors.

I know that at my local Best Buys, Samsung has an entire section of all their products. Samsungs cameras are not found with all the other cameras.

6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not the camera business, but Sony found that out the hard way with Betamax, which it finally killed off recently.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    And speaking of Konica-Minolta, my first "enthusiast" camera was the Minolta A1, sort of the A6000 of its day, and I well remember the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments when Sony bought Minolta out.

And now, with the A7Rii, where are all those people? :laugh:

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Sad, but yeah, I also think its that: Samsung had the "stigma" of a TV, phone etc manufacturer even more that Sony had (and slightly perhaps still has) and thus it would be difficult for Samsung to establish to the camera market no matter how good the product was/is...

Sad indeed :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I think Samsung made a big mistake in not getting some agreement with Pentax to parallel put out the cameras under the Pentax badge, they were latter to the game than Sony with a new system. Fuji offered something new and a name with long standing in the photographic market, plus perhaps some status from the S3/5 cameras sensor. Samsung on the other hand made a camera in the first place that looked good on paper but I tried one and it was not as good as either Sony or m43. The NX1 might be a great camera but it was too late to the party plus they did not seem to get their name out there as a maker of cameras, I had seen both Sony and Panasonic do fairly large ad campaigns. Sony also has an ace up its sleeve as does Panasonic with Zeiss and Leica respectively. You can't put old RF glass on them either the flange distance is way too large also.

10. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    It never seriously crossed my mind either. But for me it was more about the Samsung image ... I have always viewed Samsung as a compromise product and it kept me from taking any more than a cursory look their cameras. For example, after much research, I have a Samsung Plasma TV in my living room rather than a Sony because of its value (it had the features I wanted and an excellent picture, but IMO not quite the picture or build quality of similar Sony's at the time). It was a compromise ... I saved a SIGNIFICANT amount of money over the roughly comparable Sony, but if price was not a consideration I would have chosen Sony.

When I first saw an NX1 at an electronics store with a hands-on display, I picked it up and was immediately impressed by the quality of build and liked the aesthetics ... then I saw the price and didn't see that it was a significant savings over Sony so I put it down and never gave it another thought. For me this was uncharacteristically illogical. I never did my usual research, so I never learned that

For me it was a little different. They were doomed in my mind from day 1, but because of the stigma (thanks Nick for finding the word I was looking for), at least in my mind, of being a "compromise company". There are times when I splurge, and times when I compromise, but when what I viewed as a compromise (perhaps incorrectly) wasn't any cheaper, it didn't get the attention it may have deserved from me. Admittedly emotional, but corporate image counts for a lot.

• Like Like x 1