1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Salute to the military

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    For as much haze and overcast as we had, the sun was surprisingly strong this afternoon, allowing me to get these two pics. Although we are a civilian facility, we do get our share of interesting military hardware come through. The C130, however, is based here. Did I ever mention I'm really liking the Rokkor 30cm? :D

Tony

DSC07026_zpscf381586.

DSC07052_zps6e4f5480.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's always fun to see these old birds in flight instead sitting on a pad somewhere. :)

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You got that right.

4. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Noisy,smelly work horses. I love them.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Nice photos. I hope you don't mind I showed these to my daughter. She's ATC in the USAF and has a thing for planes....

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I don't mind at all. Glad you enjoyed them.

Tony

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Shot this one early this morning, right before sunrise. Heavy overcast, ISO 3200 in an attempt to simulate an old film look. Vivitar 200/3.5.

Tony

DSC07076_zps96dad805.

8. Fiddler

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I fondly remember a flight in a C-130, when the pilot decided have some fun by flying in a rather 'artistic' manner. "Buckle up" turned out to be good advice :)

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    :D

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You haven't lived until you've done a fighter break in a C141. It is awe inspiring. Even better than a max power climbout in an empty C141. ;)

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I don't have military experience, but I have seen some jaw-dropping operations, like the F-14 that was given an unrestricted climb to 130 MSL. He shot down the middle of the runway, stood it on its tail and lit the burners, and promptly became a very loud pinpoint in the sky. Or the flight of 3 F-111s that asked for an unrestricted low approach, came roaring down the middle of the runway with burners lit, and did a hard break to the left around the airport. Even through sound-dampening windows the noise and vibration made my teeth hurt . . . in a good way. :D

Tony

12. Fiddler

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Great stuff :D

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks!
    After 24yrs AD USAF, I just retired in July. Seen some wild days myself.

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You're welcome RT, and thanks for your service. The military tried very hard to recruit me when I entered college, but I didn't think I was cut out for military life.

Tony