Said I wouldn't do it

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dixeyk, Aug 5, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    But I did...I bought a native lens for my NEX. I was determined to make the NEX my MF only camera and keep my GX1 (+ PL25 and PL45) as my AF rig. Instead a PP balance and a good price on a "like new" Sigma 30/2.8 and BAM I have a native lens coming. I think it's because I have been so impressed with my C3. Not bad for a camera with terrible menus, a weird UI, no chance of an EVF and a flash that looks like something you keep earbuds in). It must be love.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Congrats! :cool:
    I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to get the Sigma 19mm or go back to the SEL 16mm.....:confused:

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Everything I have seen about the Sigmas (both) they remind me a lot of the P20 for m43. Very sharp, not too spendy and the way I figure it the better high ISO of the NEX balances out for the lens being a bit slower at 2.8. I thought a lot about the Sigma 19 but I figured for a first and potentially only native lens (who am I kidding?) the 30 would give me a 40mm equivalent and I'm very comfortable with that.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Right now my C3 is on long term loan with my dad, but when I get it back I'm thinking about that Sigma. Looking forward to your impressions!

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I am hoping a similar kind of utility and reliability of image to the P20 on m43. I realize that's a lot to ask but from the images I have seen so far it might be pretty close. I'll post as soon as I get it and take it for a spin. It's hard to argue with the price.

6. apotelyt

apotelyt TalkEmount Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    dixeyk, I'm looking forward to hearing you thots on the sigma if it really lives up to the reputation of the P20 on m43. I would be happy if it does.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    FWIW,
    I know a guy who uses the Sigma 30mm as his standard walk-around lens on his NEX-7

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's coming USPS Priority (shipping today) so I expect I'll have something to report back in a few days.

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    congrats

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thanks...I am pretty content with the NEX and MF glass but I started to feel like there were times when I wanted to at least have the option of AF if I needed it. I am looking forward to playing with it.

11. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Careful now, your GX1 will have a hizzyfit if she ever heard you say that! :D

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    :D LOL...well the GX1 had better worry because if the Sigma 30 performs as I expect it might the GX1 might be seeing a whole less use. Of course the PL25 and PL45 on the GX1 are probably going to keep it in the game for now. I do think however that I have likely bought my last bit of m43 gear.