1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Safely removing cement/glue residue

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bdbits, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have what seems to me a rather odd question. Hopefully this is the right place to post it.

Some time ago I purchased a TC bundled with a step-up ring for the SEL 55-210. I recently discovered the ring had been literally glued to the TC, presumably to keep it permanently in place. Not a terrible idea I suppose, but I wanted to remove the step-up ring. So after some difficulty I eventually managed to work the ring off. There is quite a bit of residue left behind and I would like to remove this.

Any idea for a fluid I can safely use that might remove whatever bonding agent was used without damaging the ring or TC threads? I tried rubbing it off but I can see that might take considerable time and effort and probably not get it all. I wish I knew what glue/cement it was for certain; it feels a bit rubbery between my fingers, and there appears to be a bit of red coloring to some bits, but only in a few spots. I would be very careful to keep any cleaner I attempt to use on the outside edges of course, and try it on the ring threads first, but the safer the substance the better. I think the TC and ring are both made of a very hard plastic.

My first thought was fingernail polish remover but after reading about the damage it can cause to all kinds of things especially plastics, that does not appear to be a good idea. I saw lighter fluid suggested somewhere - not sure about that either. So mainly just looking for ideas if anyone here has knowledge on this sort of thing.

If I cannot be sure using something will not damage them, I will resign myself to leaving things as is, but if there is something safe and preferably easy to obtain I would like to try removing the residue. I could stop by the one local photo shop here in town and see if they have any bright ideas, but I do not believe they normally do repairs or lens cleaning so they may not know much about this either.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Beyond my skill set. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've had pretty good luck with Goo Gone.

4. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    My wife uses that stuff all the time. Why didn't I think of that? I will check that out, thanks.

5. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Warming up gently with hot air?

Tapatalk

6. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I posted this question one other place and someone suggested that. I had not heard of that to remove anything, just loosen which I had always thought was due to expansion coefficients. I think I am going to give that a try this evening.
    Thanks.

7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    So for anyone still interested... I tried Goo Gone but it had little to no effect. I also tried heating it up a bit with a blow dryer then using a small tool to dig the goop out of the threads. It helped in the areas where there was a thin coating, but the thicker areas have proven a bit more stubborn than that.

Someone elsewhere though lighter fluid was worth a shot and would not harm anything. I do not have any lighter fluid in the house, so I may pick some up this weekend and give it a go.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    From your description of it, it's red Locktite. Red is the permanent Locktite, not meant for disassembly. According to the manufacturer, the way to loosen red Locktitle is to heat it to 500F or so. If Goo Gone doesn't do anything, I don't think lighter fluid would. Same active ingredient. Acetone will do something, but it would be slow going and it will damage other plastic. Methylene Chloride will chew through it but will definitely chew through other plastics as well. Methylene Chloride is pretty nasty stuff. There are plastics that are resistant to these solvents, they come in plastic bottles after all. The question is whether the plastic used to make your TC is one of those resistant plastics. I would tend to doubt it.

9. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The further into this I go, the more I think I will just leave this sucker permanently attached and just use additional step up/down rings. Its gotten to be where it is not worth it.