1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sadly, I am defecting from Minolta to Canon

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Aaronius31, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    I've been wanting to go full-frame for a while now and had Minolta glass before that wanting creeped into my mind. I knew there was the Metabones but laughed at the $600 or so price tag and so I was ecstatic to see the results of the Lens Turbo. While having the Minolta Rokkor PG 50/1.4 has been amazing, I simply can't see me loving the MD Lens Turbo with all the semi-negative reviews it has received while the Canon seems to have much less problems.

Whats even worse is that I have 2 very good MD Teleconverters I got for a good price each that work flawlessly (minus the crap Albinar Vivitar 200mm that doesn't focus to infinity sharply that I've been using with it). But after learning that they won't work with the famous Minolta Sony-Alpha Mount Beercan, I have lost hope of going full-Minolta.

So now I want to start anew and get the Canon Lens Turbo, a Canon-equivalent of Minolta's famous W Rokkor-X 24mm 2.8 Wide Angle, a Canon-equivalent of Minolta's famous 70-210mm f/4 Beercan, and a Canon-equivalent of Minolta's famous Rokkor PG 50mm 1.4.

Can someone point me in the right direction with each of these?

Although I'm going to go full-canon, I will keep 1 teleconverter and my 50/1.4...unless someone wants it.

What also sucks is that I just sent off my Canon AF 70-210 f/4.5...but it wasnt sharp enough for my liking when taking moon photos.

NOTE: Just for some extra help in you helping me, I want to use the 24mm for starry landscapes, the 50mm for all-around and portraits, and the 70-210 for mostly moon photos.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    My only input is get the canon fd or fl 55 1.2

You won't be disappointed.

And if not. The FD 50 1.4 is 85 percent as good.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Canon's 24/2.8 needs no introduction, it is great. But if you have the budget and can find them, the f2 versions (consider 28mm or 35mm with the turbo) are even better.

I don't know about the beercan equivalents, but quite a few long zooms of Canon's are designated L lenses and quite cheap. However they're not as good as the primes of course.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I read somewhere that one of the canon wide angles won't work at infinity focus because it hits the glass of the turbo. If I can find out witch one ill repost.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have fun, hope something works out for you.

6. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    50mm 1.4 FD can be had for $60 or maybe less. I highly recommend it.

7. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    That would be awesome and save me a lot of hassle. I'll search too.

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Interesting read. I hope this means that you will keep your Rokkor glass and get some new Canon glass to play with the Lens Turbo? For me, both the Lens Turbo and the better Speed Booster are to be considered fun toys rather than serious tools. You do get image degradation with them such as soft borders and altered colour tones. They are probably good fun to play with sometimes, eg for informal portrait work.

But if you want to experience the full frame feeling with quality photos, then it is much cheaper and better to get a Minolta film camera to use with your Rokkors. There is great film today that will produce excellent scans.

It's no fault branching into other makers of legacy glass, either. But if you do, you should also consider the Nikkor route. They had some absolutely wicked primes in the normal to wide range, some of which haven't changed much today. They have amazing sharpness, colour saturation and contrast. For instance, there are the excellent 24mm f/2.8 and 20mm f/3.5 for the F-mount.

I believe that's the non-R(etrofocus) version of Canon FL 19/3.5.. I was looking into buying the Retrofocus version, but was actually put off by its looks. That's a first for me! It looks like a cartoon lens.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to base my whole lens setup around one cheap condensing adapter. Or switch for that matter.

The reviews may seem encouraging, but I can't help but doubt whether any of these manufacturers actually use different optics for their Canon FD model. (I can say from experience that with that extra aperture open/lock ring, Canon FD adapters are not my favorite type.)

To my mind, lens turbos would mostly be cool for getting that extra subject isolation at moderate distances with normal and moderate wide angles. But for most other applications, I've found I'm fine working with e-mount or legacy glass with simple adapters. Those options are so inexpensive and so plentiful - why deny myself all that?

Of course there's no law against using both approaches - I might eventually be tempted to try out a "turbo" with some fast 50mm and 35mm lenses...

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Yeah, I agree with Jef above. Also, the FD/FL mount is messy. I keep unscrewing the lens when I try to set the aperture.

11. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    not "sadly at all",
    you have a choice and you are exercising it, probably as many go the other way, that's photography for you, we love our stuff for a bit then start reading the hype and we abandon ship for something else, fools and their money are easily parted,and there's no bigger fools than photographers where new gear is concerned.
    If I had a dollar for every time I said to my wife " this will see me out" I'd be a rich man

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So what did you end up with ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. Aaronius31

Feb 25, 2013
    Well I have decided that it wouldn't hurt to use 2 systems, since I can afford to have the best of both world (Minolta +Canon/Nikon).

I have come to realize that the Sony 16-50 PZ, Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4, and my newly acquired Minolta MD 70-210 f/4 fits virtually all my needs.

But in the future I am going to go either of these two routes:

Canon Lens Turbo (or Metabones Speed Booster once prices come down)
    Canon FD 24mm 2.8
    Canon FD 35mm
    Canon FD 50mm 1.4

OR

Nikon Lens Turbo
    Nikon 24mm
    Nikon 35mm f/2 D
    Nikon 50mm

I really just want a nice 3D feel with something like the Nikon 35mm f/2 D with each of these lenses, and to have a nice wide angle (24mm) for landscapes and astrophotographic landscapes.

But for now, I have tamed my Gear Acquisition Syndrome :D

14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, at least you can have GAS on the cheap.. in DSLR world, I would've spent more on a single lens than I've spent on all of my Minolta gear.