1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

RX1 experiences?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jimmoore, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    RX1 experience anyone

I would be interested to hear from anyone that hands on experience using a Sony rx1.

I understand the cost and fixed lens aspects, but would be interested to know how it compares to a nex with a Zeiss 24 lens, does the IQ look markedly better? Also how usable is the screen in bright sun.

This camera interests me but I just can’t decide if I will see any great improvement. I do end up in the 35mm range quite a lot and find it surprising flexible. My current interest is in getting very small kit with maximum quality.

I have reached the stage in my life when I have given up on having the biggest, just hopping to have the best!!

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The RX1 is the consensus ultimate in image quality at the 35mm focal length amongst small form cameras. Some would say it is the ultimate in image quality at the 35mm focal length irrespective of size. That said, I prefer several things about the A6000 and Zeiss 24 to the RX1: feel in the hand, integrated EVF, autofocus performance. Both lenses are very, very special.

I don't own either one but have used the RX1 several times and am in the process of writing a review of the Zeiss 24 (using A6000 as the body).

3. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    honestly, the IQ is fabulous and the lens is an instant classic. imo, it absolutely needs the evf and an external grip, but then the camera mostly gets out of your way. it has a great heft and quality feel. the images have the best resolution ive ever experienced and are fabulous up to iso6400. hands down best lowlight camera ive personally used, and i would compare it favorably with the nikon df. the evf is wonderfully crisp and clear. it can do anything you want and do it extraordinarily well. and there is enough room to easily crop 100% and still have a large printable quality photo. coupled with its 'pano' feature, its like having a 21-75mm zoom.

ultimately for me, i ended up being dissatified with its modern rendering. there was something, i dont know, maybe it was too sharp, or a kind of sharp that ended up grating on me. some have called the rendering 'cold' and 'sterile'. its hard to put my finger on. also, i did not like the b&w images. although it has a great dynamic range, i personally found no nuance in the blacks at all. maybe i'm just nuts. but i ended up selling it and buying a couple of leica lenses for my rd1, with whose rendering and ergonomics i am fully infatuated. so that clinches it, i am nuts!

• Like Like x 1
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have not been using it much since I got the A7R, but I still keep it due to lens IQ/size/silent shutter, etc... The only negative is af is slow, so that was the reason it's been selling at low prices for the last 2 years. You pretty much get the camera free if you compare it to Sony/Zeiss lens prices. I like it better then 24mm due to smaller lens, but evf/grip increases RX1 size also... RX1 lens has near Otus/Sony FE 55mm/90mm performance per DXO tests and the sensor is still same 24MP one that is used in the A7's... These are images taken directly from the RX1 lcd:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

[​IMG]

original.

1/15sec
    original.

original.

original.

You can also check other RX1 images:
    http://www.photographerslounge.org/threads/15456/page-48
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168684/205?b=2

• Like Like x 3
  5. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    that first picture shows exactly what i didnt like about the b&w rendering. yvmv. it is nonetheless a good capture by the photographer.

6. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks to all for taking the time to help me with this problem, I think I will hold on to the end of this year just to see if we have a NEX 7 or RX1 upgrade, but it looks as though RX1is a camera that I will have to try.
    Also thanks to Amin for removing the "M" from the heading.