1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Russian Orthodox Church

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by fractal, Jan 31, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Last week I found myself in the coal regions of Pennsylvania due to business. I spotted this Russian Orthodox Church on the way home and of course I had my camera with me.

DSC03034-X2.

DSC03037-X2.

DSC03039-X2.

DSC03042-X2.

• Like Like x 13
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great colors.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    What lens did you use ?

BTW this church seems like an interesting mix of Russian (the onion shaped domes) and American (the rectangular front and louvered bell tower) architectures. Almost looks like the Russians bought a Protestant church and rebuilt it.

And yes, the colors are fantastic ! Over here, I could only shoot the "fifty shades of gray" lately.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, great shots! I love the angle and +1 on what lens you used?

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Majestic structure. Like the perspective, helps having the church built onto a hillside. All the elements are complimentary.
    Also curious which lens.

6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Nice work, Chris! Really like how the snow on the steps compliments the white arches, window frames and clouds.
    Hey, what lens did you use for this?

:rolleyes::hide: (I am guessing the Ziess 24 1.8)

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    thanks guys! The first shot is with the Zeiss 24mm 1.8. The rest are with the Rokinon 8mm 2.8 - cropped liberally and adjusted for some distortion. This part of the State attracted a large number of immigrants from Eastern Europe during Coal's heyday. It's not unusual to see the onion domes in the skylines of many of these towns. @Amamba@Amamba , it very well could have been a converted building but not sure. I tugged on the door to see if I could get in, light a candle and take a few interior shots but unfortunately the Church was locked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    #3 for me