1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Russian Mother Takes Magical Portraits of Her Two Boys and their Animal Friends

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by addieleman, Jan 19, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Lovely stuff. Has to be a lot of photoshopping. They almost seem Rockwell equse... Almost like what Poki would do with portraits instead of landscapes. Lol

On a serious note, it's some of the best portraits I've seen

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Saw this link on another site yesterday - Excellent photos!!! "Magical" is indeed the appropriate word here :thumbup:

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Absolutely stunning!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Worthy of publication for sure.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Woof! These photos serve to remind me why I don't even attempt portraits very often. There's just no way I could ever come within spitting distance of these.

7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    +1 to that!

I'm trying really hard to get into portrait tho - nothing I'm willing to share yet!

8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    This is not a criticism of Elena, as I love her finished images. But the images did raise some questions for me personally.

They seem heavily photoshopped. It looks to me like she's masking out her subjects and then working on the backgrounds in separate layers. And it appears that she's adding more than just a Gaussian blur. It appears to me that much of the mist/fog has been painted in. And, as they say, there's nothing wrong with that.

She has not asked anything of us, except to consider the finished product. And her results certainly work. But in admiring (envying?) these, it made me ask myself whether I'm a photographer or a computer illustrator—and where's the line for me?

The landscape photographer John Anderson made this observation: "The thing about digital photography that I think is in some ways troublesome is that it starts to erode the illusion of reality that photographs contain; and if it loses that completely, then its a different medium."

• Like Like x 2
  9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I completely agree. Great illustrations.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think I understand what John Anderson, and you, are questioning, Bill. But for myself, I don't find this illustration/photography conundrum troubling in the least. I don't see myself as a documentarian when I snap the shutter. I'm not trying to deceive anyone by claiming that what I eventually choose to show them is supposed to represent a two-dimensional facsimile of the "reality" that I saw through the viewfinder. By framing, exposing, choosing a depth of field, timing the shutter click, and yes, by post-processing the images at home in front of my computer, I am interpreting what I saw. At best, I am trying to recreate what I felt when I snapped the shutter. And if I slather on layers of digital manipulation to achieve that, well, who is harmed? Others are fee to enjoy, detest, or shrug at what I came up with. I'm happy if they like it, but feel no loss if they don't. I know that it's a subjective game.

Now, were I a photojournalist, tasked with attempting to objectively document a newsworthy event, that's an entirely different thing. But the rest is all just art. Call it photography, illustration, or whatever you choose. I really don't see much distinction between the two. I believe that all photos are manipulated to some extent, even if it's just in the framing. It's just a matter of degree. Or, as you say: where's the line?

For me, the most troublesome photos make me feel nothing. And these images definitely don't do that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Actually I wanted to see her photoshop skills and how she worked on each image separately.

12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    David,

I accept what you're saying. I think I enjoyed her images as much as anyone. I tried to make sure that my comments were only about the question that it triggered for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those photos are indeed extraordinary. While they do exhibit some heavy PP, there is no denying her skill, nor her apparent passion.

Tony

14. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Beautiful

15. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I would most definitely agree with you. No matter where her journey took her to arrive at these images I would, if I had the ability, take the same journey!
    Bruce

• Like Like x 2
  16. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Nicely put Bruce. That is the test, isn't it?

17. TClair

TClair TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2013
    Salem, OR
    Terry
    Beautiful images!