Rumored NEX-7 and NEX-5N Specifications

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    According to Sony Alpha Rumors (SAR), here are the specs of these two cameras which are (according to rumor) to be announced August 24:

24,3 Exmor HD sensor
    100-16.000 ISO
    1200 zone metering
    1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
    3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
    3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
    10 fps
    20ms startup time
    Built-in flash
    New universal hot shoe
    Battery life for over 400 shots
    Magnesium alloy body

16.1 MP Exmor sensor (Same us Sony NEX-C3)
    ISO 100-25600
    1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 video recording
    Shutter 1/4000
    10 fps
    Can take over 430 shots with one battery
    Same AF speed as the GH2

Also from SAR comes a rumor that the NEX-7 will be silent due to the use of a leaf shutter and uses offset microlenses to enable better sensor corner performance. There are also reports that the NEX-C3 shows better corner performance than the NEX-3 and NEX-5.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I wonder if there's any chance of sensor image stabilization with the in the NEX-7. Along with a superior EVF, that would be the killing stroke as far as making this appeal to the adapted lens crowd. Also, with 24MP, I have to wonder how much need remains for an AA filter. Seems like one could go without.
  3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    It seems that these rumors are coming from people who've already tried pre-release versions. I would think something like sensor image stabilization would have been reported. That addition to a NEX camera would be huge. The AA filter could be gone. I imagine that is something that might not get reported by the rumor mill. It seems the Ricoh GXR M-mount module does not have an AA filter, so it's possible Sony will follow suite. Until Ricoh, Panasonic, with their adapter, was the only CSC manufacturer that promoted through product releases the use of M-mount lenses on their cameras. I think we are seeing more of a move by these companies to make their cameras work better with rangefinder lenses since their size complements the camera themselves. The reports that the NEX-C3 and these newer NEX's have micro-lenses that help with wide-angle rangefinders lenses indicates that it is entirely possible Sony is moving in this direction as well.
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Good point about sensor stabilization being reported! Seems like all the companies either stabilize the sensor or the lenses. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have both - Ie, sensor stabilization which automatically shuts off when a stabilized lens is mounted...
  5. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    A much too sensible suggestion Amin.

The Nex 7 looks like being a furious tease for me. Reasonable size, likely outstanding EVF, lots of direct, dedicated controls and an excellent sensor. No doubt it will have it's interface quirks (they all do, though I find Panasonic's the most thoroughly designed) but it looks attractive. But, but - the lenses! I would deeply enjoy MF / legacy glass, and with peaking and that EVF/screen combination it promises much. But there seems no way for me to duplicate or come close to AF lenses like the 12/14, 20, 45 primes I have with MFT.

With that sensor, and some good glass, this would make an outstanding lightweight travel / landscape camera for those who like to capture detail and tonality and print large.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi Pelao, great to see you here! I agree on all counts, but a Sony 16/2.8, Zeiss 24/1.8, and Sony 50/1.8 could make for a potent trio. The Sony 16 was to me better than it's rep, and the other two lenses remain to be seen!
  7. Pelao

Pelao TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 8, 2011
    Glad to be here.

Agree about the 16 being an OK lens. If the Nex 7 really does have 24 mp, the lenses will all have to be very good to use the sensor to the full. I would really want a 50mm equivalent. Hmmmmm

Looks like it all might be big bucks - but that's a lot of camera. I will be watching with interest.
  8. jtbullet

jtbullet New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2011
    Big possible stupid question: Do the NEX series cameras offer OIS comparable to the hx9? My hx9 has the best stabilizer I've ever worked with, and has nearly done away with my glidecam.
    Sorry for the abrupt jump in. Let me back up a second.
    Hi guys. New here. new Sony convert. I just bought an hx9, and am excited about the possibilities offered by the NEX 7 for 2 main reasons:
    1) 1080P/60P - hopefully this is offered as it is in the hx9
    2) Stabilization - as above, the hx9 has incredible OIS, surely an NEX7 will be comparable
    I am making an independent film, and I am selling my canon 7D, and moving to Sony. Why? Simple, these new cameras look like they will be better in many ways since they are designed with video in mind from the start. The real question is NEX 7 or A77. The A77 will surely be the better camera, but I came to the NEX series as a logical result of researching micro four thirds cameras, and now that I bought the HX9 for fun, I'd rather not move back to the full form factor. So you guys think the NEX 7 will offer full control on it's video mode? Last question, I have a lot of m42, k mount, and FD mount lenses bought initially for the 7d. Will they work ok on an NEX given I buy the proper adapters? I know that I will lose AF and OIS (if it is available on the NEX 7). What are some lenses likely to be compatible with the NEX 7 that may be able to access the AF and OIS?
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011

"OIS" specifically refers to stabilization within the lens. So far none of the NEX cameras have had image stabilization built into the camera. The zoom lenses have had built in optical image stabilization. I do not know if it is as effective as the hx9, but I hear that the Sony 18-200 stabilization is very effective.

I assume that the NEX 7 will offer excellent video capability, but they may handicap it in some way so that it doesn't out compete their video cameras.

Your m42, K mount, and FD lenses should work beautifully on the NEX bodies using proper adapters, but none of them will be stabilized. For lenses that will AF on the NEX body, you have the A mount lenses (via adapter) and the E mount lenses (which are native).
  10. jtbullet

jtbullet New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the info Amin! I am truthfully thinking about getting rid of the hx9, though I love it. I will be getting the NEX7, assuming it has good manual controls during recording, and a stabilizer as good as the hx9 on the kit lens. It's a hard camera to part with, but since I'm selling a 7D, and Powershot G9, maybe I will hang on to it for a little while longer. Does anyone think the a77 will be significantly better at video recording than the NEX7? I only shoot video, aside from a few pictures just for fun, so the extra still capabilities make no difference to me. I just dont want to get a camera that big! But if the video is a LOT better, I would go ahead and get the A77.
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't think anyone knows the answer to those questions, but we should have the full story in 2 weeks :)
  12. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    ISO 16000 ... how odd!
  13. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Re: NEX7 I thought that the ISO limit of 16000 was a misprint
    On a previous thread Amin you mentioned as to whether the LCD would be articulated this may not be practical due to it being a 'touchscreen' I seem to get my LCD's marked generally with my fingers so what a touchscreen would be like after I had a go I'm not sure!