1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor: Sony NEX-7 to Cost ~$1000 and Ships in November?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    According to the latest rumors, the highly anticipated flagship Sony NEX-7 will cost around $1000 (US) and ship in November.

nex7.

The announcement for this camera is expected on August 24th. Rumored specifications include a newly developed 24MP sensor and groundbreaking OLED electronic viewfinder.

$1000 would be an aggressive price point, putting the NEX-7 in direct competition with the Panasonic GH2.

Source: http://photorumors.com/2011/08/12/sony-nex-7-to-cost-around-1000-will-start-shipping-in-november/

Rumor Grade of Evidence: B+

A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Every single rumor about the price of the NEX-7 makes absolutely no mention of what kit lens it comes with. I can only assume at this rumored price point it will be the same two kits lenses that have always been offered. What I've been hoping to see rumored is a price for a bundled Zeiss lens or a body-only offering.

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    The thing that has me worried in the limited news about new lenses combined with the unofficial Sony statements about flang back distance impacting lens quality and the rumors about the new adapter for using alpha lenses on the NEX bodies with pdaf.

Is Sony going to keep rolling out new NEX lenses or are they basically going to tell people to buy the adapter and alpha lenses if they want better image quality?

4. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    On August 24th we should see three new lenses announced: the Zeiss 24 1.8, the 50 1.8, and a 55-200 zoom. Along with the 30 3.5 announced earlier this year I think Sony has announced quite a few lenses in a short amount of time and their lens roadmap promises more for 2012. With some patience, I think the E-mount will have plenty of lens choices. Also, don't be surprised to see Sigma, Tamron, and/or Voigtlander announce lenses in the next 12 months.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I've also been wondering about the kit lens options. While the existing options are perfectly decent they are never going to be up to a 24 MP sensor if that is indeed what is in the NEX-7. Of the existing lenses only the Zeiss would seem to be clearly suitable - bear in mind that the A77, which supposedly has the same sensor is getting a brand new 16-50 kit lens.

Yet a $1000 on a $1000 dollar camera makes for a very expensive set up. Perhaps Sony plan to sell the NEX-7 and Zeiss together at a reduced priced?

Personally, having hoped for a price closer too the only other Sony Zeiss APS lens ($750), I'm somewhere between undecided and no. If I go for no, then I'm also going for no on the NEX-7 too. Since the M43 setup doesn't have anything to tempt me I'll be heading back into SLR territory.

6. Travisennis

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    The latest rumors indicate the NEX-7 will be available in a body-only configuration at a price of $1000 to $1100. I guess that seems reasonable based on what the rumors say the specs will be in this camera. However, as you said, adding another $1000 dollars to get the Zeiss, which will be the only lens available to take advantage of the new sensor in the NEX-7 and you have a pretty expensive kit. For myself, I'm more than happy to use adapted lenses on the NEX-7 for the time being. However, even $1000 to $1100 may be too high for me. Yet, if it lives up to expectations this could be the one and only camera I would need for a very long time.

7. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    At this price point and with its rumoured specs I think the NEX-7 is beginning to get into the DSLR replacement territory which is a lot more challenging and competitive than the market the 3and 5 models entered.

Given that the A77 is also rumoured to come in at 1000-1200 body only I think if I had the money to spend I would be more inclined to go for the A77 - particularly since I managed to see the teaser video before it was pulled. With a new high quality 16-50 zoom as a kit lens and the whole range of A-mount lenses available it looks like a better option for a main camera with a NEX-3/5 as the CSC option.