1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumor - Nikon buying Samsung NX mirrorless tech

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by fractal, Dec 2, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, just read this a few hours ago and if true it will be very "threatening" to Sony's mirrorless domination IMHO...

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far each and every mirrorless product line has taken years to mature, I think it'll be the same for Nikon even if they get kind of a headstart by acquiring Samsung's technology. Nikon has a tough nut to crack: they have a reputation for maintaining compatibility in terms of lens mounts, they'll have to decide if they're going to continue with the F mount in some way; they'll most likely want to keep their F lenses compatbile with any new camera. Maybe Sony will feel the heat in a few years but not right now, they're still the only one with a full-frame mirrorless system. Look at what Canon's doing with mirrorless. Say what? Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Wonder what answer Canon and Pentax will have, given just about the only growth area in camera sales seems to be mirrorless. Also will Nikon create a new mount that is FF compatible if not they may find they have shot them selves in the foot as it is unless they have some lens designs to kick off they are still playing catchup to others as well. Perhaps they will repackage the better Samsung lenses in a new mount using the same electronic signals and then work from there. No Canon serious mirrorless by the end of 2016 and they could find themselves in the place Nikon have been or even behind Sony and Nikon.

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    If true, I would think Nikon will carefully have to weigh what they do as far as lenses go. Samsung NX is the only mirrorless mount that you can not use Leica mount lenses. While this may not be an issue to everyone, there is probably a fairly large group that will need/want this. If Nikon just uses the Sensor/AF tech with a new Nikon F mount camera, the size of the camera can not be reduced a whole lot. If they are smart, they would come out with some sort of new mount with adapters for Nikon F and Samsung NX mount. While probably not ideal, it buys them time to build a proper new lens system and also allows 2 user bases to mount lenses to their new system while it gets built out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    My understanding is the NX mount is too small for Full-Frame. I tend to agree that a new mount will be used (again, if true) close to size of E-mount. What this does, IMO, is legitimize mirrorless. Nikon finally saw the writing on the wall and kudos for them for making this move. I have to say I'm more a fan of mirrorless than a Sony fan. I'm hoping this rumor is true because a legitimate competitor to Sony will continue to spur innovation and keep pricing in check and I'm glad the fabulous Samsung sensor technology has not been a waste.

7. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    If it's a new mount (which I believe almost has to be) then it will have a new line of lenses. I agree it will take some time for this system to catch up. In fact I believe that is why Nikon and Canon have been so slow to roll out mirrorless. They would lose their advantage of a mature lens system. Nikon finally said "uncle".

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Saw the first Samsung NX1 deal yesterday: € 869 for an NX1 with 16-50/3.5-5.6. Mildly tempting but then again, if I really wanted one I'd have bought it earlier.

9. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    If this turns out to be true, it will be interesting. Especially the part about "professional mirrorless". With a very important share of the professional market for DSLRs, Nikon knows what professional means: rugged build, fast AF and response, fast frame rate, dual card slots, top quality viewfinder, 4k video, the whole works. For sports and wildlife photogs, APSC sensor size is adequate, so FF will not be necessary from the beginning. What I would assume crucial is to keep the F mount.

Just like when Nikon entered the DSLR arena, it took them a few years to move into FF; here, I would expect the same. Start with a strong APSC MILC camera, use existing lenses, and demonstrate that it can work effectively and have advantages over current DSLR-based pro cameras. A pro camera does not need to be as small as Fuji XT1 or A7RII, in fact, it is better if it is larger.

10. jpfigueiredo

jpfigueiredo TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    No point in that, Paulo.

An official, 100% compatible adapter, yes. That would make sense.

11. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Apparently, Samsung already has a BSI Full Frame sensor ready to go. I'm guessing 50mp +.

12. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I hope this is true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Oh crap. more stuff to buy!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Nikon already has succeeded with the Nikon 1 mirrorless (in fact I am wondering why they are reinventing this wheel with Samsung when they already have a fairly strong following with the Nikon 1). The Nikon 1 system has an adapter that accommodates F-Mount lenses (with all the auto functions) to the Nikon 1 camera bodies. The problem with the Nikon 1 and Samsung combination is that the Nikon 1 uses such a physically small sensor that it won't work (no-way, no-how) with a full frame sensor, APS-C sensor, or even a Mu43 sensor (I think). So that means that a new mount will have to be designed if the intend to integrate Nikon 1 and Samsung. I think it would be a mistake to trash the Nikon 1 system.

--- edit ---

When I wrote this this morning (way too early on a Sunday), I was confusing Samsung with Panasonic Lumix. I don't even know if Samsung makes a Mu43 camera. but the issues probably still apply. I generally have a lot of respect for Samsung in their other product lines (I've got a couple Samsung smart TVs), and their stuff generally works well and seems to be well designed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    IMHO, the Nikon 1 is a glorified point/shoot with interchangeable lenses.
    The Nikon 1 system is a dead-end. The sensor size limits its performance and migration towards more serious shooting situations. Problem for Nikon (and Canon) is that they are deeply entrenched into DSLR cameras. They have consumer grade DSLRs as gateway systems instead of mirrorless to their 'pro' line. They couldn't allow any compact mirrorless offering to overlap and take sales away from these consumer DSLRs.

Sony's success has made them a serious threat in the market. Nikon seems to realize this and their Samsung acquisition is a wise move.
    They can cut their dependence on Sony sensors. And Sony will lose that revenue stream.
    DSLR's market share will progressively shrink. High end offerings are prohibitively expensive. The numbers who would make that climb and invest into a system are dwindling. Mass sale numbers are what re-coup investing in manufacturing a new product. If you offer something that is 'good enough' or most bang for the buck, to the buying public, then that's what is going to sell most. Cellphones killed the point/shoot industry.
    The big bag of tricks that Sony mirrorless brought to the table is what draws photographers to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I would not be quite so quick to judge, Will. While I'll admit that many (if not most) of N1 users don't know a lot about photography and see the line as you suggest, a "glorified point/shoot with interchangeable lenses" it can actually do many things that neither Nikon, or Canon or Sony FF bodies (or any others), and I include the 20 FPS and 60 FPS stills and 400 and 1200 FPS video (albeit the latter with reduced sensor mapping). One of my favorite configurations of the N1 is my V3 with the 70-300 VR lens attached. With the sensor's 2.7 crop factor, that 300 mm becomes 810mm effective and easily hadheld. Here is a link to someone that can do a lot better than I. why I love shooting with Nikon 1

The N1 may in fact be a dead-end, any one of these technologies could be dead ends, because technologies are all moving way too fast for us to predict, but don't insult the N1 because they are a competitor of Sony (Or any other brand). We all have a lot to learn about the technology

• Like Like x 1