• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Rumor: Full Frame Sony NEX Cameras Coming in About 1 Year

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
The Sony RX1 shows that it is possible to have a high performance full frame camera and lens in a very compact form, and there are now strong rumors that Sony will release an NEX7-styled full frame Sony NEX camera using the current NEX mount (E mount) in late 2013 or early 2014. SonyAlphaRumors gave this rumor their highest reliability rating.

Read on at SAR.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I wouldn't buy one. But that's just me, as I don't think the quality gain justifies the price of buying all new bodies and lenses as well as probably a little bit bigger size and more weight.

Bugleone

TalkEmount Veteran
If that's true then it 'might' be the digital camera system that I have been waiting for these 10 years,...with teh provisos that I can use 'any' lens as with existing NEX's and that it does have the image quality since RX1 looks to have been trumped by the Sigma DP2 at less than a quarter of the price!!

.....Now, if Sigma can make an interchangable lens version of DP2 things might be even better since I could be free of Mr Sony for ever.....my NEX is the ONLY sony product I will have in the house.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I wonder what other companies that are heavily invested in protecting the DSLR market would be thinking about that rumour right now? :eek:

Nagenk

TalkEmount Regular
Read today on Mirrorlessrumors and SAR that Samsung will come up with a FF mirrorless by 2013 March. That will be way before Sony and Fuji who are planning to come up with a FF mirrorless by end of 2013.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Read today on Mirrorlessrumors and SAR that Samsung will come up with a FF mirrorless by 2013 March. That will be way before Sony and Fuji who are planning to come up with a FF mirrorless by end of 2013.

I've always said that Samsung will go big into the mirrorless market and here's ^^ another proof :)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Excellent !! Now they're gonna rush at it and the APS-C models' prices are gonna drop like stones (licking my chops here)

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Heh honestly I would rather they not rush it but do it right. The first iteration will always be a bit problematic as it is, and costly to boot. Probably even more so when they rush things. It does make me very tempted to explore M glass properly though :D

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't care if they rush since I won't buy the first gen anyway ;) But the price drop on other models will be wecome ;)

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I STILL don't get it. You'd have to use a new LA-EA3/4 adapter and use A-Mount lenses, which totally destroys the point of having a mirrorless FF camera. They won't make new ff E-Mount lenses like they said a few times. I simply don't consider this a great idea.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hmm, I think they're researching a new dual mount accomodating both A and E lenses. Front what I understand anyway.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hmm, I think they're researching a new dual mount accomodating both A and E lenses. Front what I understand anyway.

That would require a built-in retractable adapter tube. Not sure this would look sexy / would allow the camera to be small ... After all, the benefits are not big enough for me to like the idea.

Sensor size is important without question, and I as a landscape shooter need every pixel I can get, but I have yet to see a full frame camera that delivers significantly better images printed on average sizes (between 90x60 and 150x100cm for me) sizes than a NEX-7 with a lens to match (yes, D800, you're not that much better in DR and 24MP is quite enough for these sizes).

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
I think the assumption that a FF mirrorless will be an NEX is the issue. A FF mirrorless would be an evolution of the SLT model line rather than the NEX model line. The SLT approach was always an interim solution anyway. A mirrorless FF camera need not necessarily be a small camera - the benefits of getting rid of the mirror (fixed or moving) are not just about size and weight. Lenses for a FF sensor are going to bigger and heavier than lenses for an APS sensor and there are, of course, those who would prefer a bigger camera.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I think the assumption that a FF mirrorless will be an NEX is the issue. A FF mirrorless would be an evolution of the SLT model line rather than the NEX model line. The SLT approach was always an interim solution anyway. A mirrorless FF camera need not necessarily be a small camera - the benefits of getting rid of the mirror (fixed or moving) are not just about size and weight. Lenses for a FF sensor are going to bigger and heavier than lenses for an APS sensor and there are, of course, those who would prefer a bigger camera.

This, actually, makes perfect sense. A mirrorless A-Mount camera would be the evolution that I expect in the long run. But then again, I personally love the size of a NEX-7, so it's probably not a camera for me. If I need to bring a big camera bag, I can as well bring a medium format camera - no point to go ff then imho.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
There is no real point making A-mount mirrorless cameras, when you can simply make E-mount mirrorless cameras and throw in an adapter. Especially since it's mentioned that the FF mirrorless will be a high-end camera which is likely to mean DSLR-like controls (or NEX-7-like at a minimum). A mirrorless E-mount in DSLR form factor, regardless of whether it's full frame or not, would be very interesting. Especially with the LA-EA2 if needed, or better yet, the rumored LA-EA4 for PDAF and FF coverage. Even with all those adapters, it would still be smaller than an A-57 (maybe not smaller than A-33, but probably lighter). Samsung have their NX20, Panasonic their G/GH, there's no reason why Sony couldn't add one to their NEX lineup.

The timing of supposed FF mirrorless is perfect for me, as my 5N would be just about coming to an age for retirement (I already have big plans for my 5N, putting it out to pasture with a nice M mount lens for keeps), but honestly if it came earlier it just means more time for the price to drop when I'm ready to step up :)

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
So you end up with a FF E-mount camera that can only take FF lenses via an adaptor? Seems like a very bizarre way to proceed but them who am I to second guess Sony? And I suppose we should keep in mind that this is just a rumour from a site that is very hit and miss when it comes to accuracy.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So you end up with a FF E-mount camera that can only take FF lenses via an adaptor? Seems like a very bizarre way to proceed but them who am I to second guess Sony? And I suppose we should keep in mind that this is just a rumour from a site that is very hit and miss when it comes to accuracy.

SR5 rumors are usually true - one way or the other.

While I still think the VG900 was a brilliant idea (if it only had a codec to match...) I simply don't get the concept for a modern digital stills camera. But we'll see and I may be wrong - after all, I don't consider 35mm sensors a good format for my type of shooting at all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom