• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Rollei 50 F:1.8 Planar, check out this sample

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I *finally* took delivery of my QBM adapter this morning, enabling me to try the Rollei 50/1.8 Planar that had been sleeping in my drawer since last week (very frustrating, by the way).
This is a wide open shot, a little cropped, but not resized, with NO sharpening whatsoever.
Waddaya think ?

NEX-6    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/100s    ISO 400

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
resized version

since it doesn't seem the full size version appears properly in my first post, I'm posting the link to it :
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/a00/a00a8f05dbfb95d3ce6bc2c0d1c29fb9_86e.jpg

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I like it. I don't know that I would say it stands out from some of the other lenses you have. I think it has good sharpness and bokeh but it look to my aging eyes that the contrast is not quite as much as the Minolta images you have been posting. The rendering looks very nice. It reminds me a lot of the Jupiter-8 image wise (that's good). Perhaps the better questions is what do YOU think? How is it to use? Is it a keeper madame exotic lens guru?

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like it. I don't know that I would say it stands out from some of the other lenses you have. I think it has good sharpness and bokeh but it look to my aging eyes that the contrast is not quite as much as the Minolta images you have been posting. The rendering looks very nice. It reminds me a lot of the Jupiter-8 image wise (that's good). Perhaps the better questions is what do YOU think? How is it to use? Is it a keeper madame exotic lens guru?
Ah ah. It's a very nice lens. A little cold war unsexy austere German style, in a good kind of way. I could probably run over it with my (old) Audi and it'd still work fine. I find it optically impressive. I still need time to get familiar with it. True that the Rokkors are hard to top, but I think the Rollei might be a tad above in sharpness, at least.

applemint

TalkEmount Veteran
I agree with dixeyk - looks good but not quite the 'wow factor' contrast and rendering of the Minolta 1.4 which looked fantastic. It's only 1 picture though so my judgement (and also ageing eyes) may be premature. :)

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
I *finally* took delivery of my QBM adapter this morning, enabling me to try the Rollei 50/1.8 Planar that had been sleeping in my drawer since last week (very frustrating, by the way).
This is a wide open shot, a little cropped, but not resized, with NO sharpening whatsoever.
Waddaya think ?

Nyanis congratulations, I think the addiction to MF is to become every day more insatiable, this 50mm seems to be very good, this was part of Carl Ziess? I hear about the Rollei 50mm f/1.4 Planar, it's not too cheap, and had an excellent reputation and produce great photos, also i think it's M42 and the multi-coating was Carl Zeiss T* but after a disagreement with Zeiss, Rollei referred to it as HFT.

Top Bottom