1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rollei 50 F:1.8 Planar, check out this sample

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Nov 16, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I *finally* took delivery of my QBM adapter this morning, enabling me to try the Rollei 50/1.8 Planar that had been sleeping in my drawer since last week (very frustrating, by the way).
    This is a wide open shot, a little cropped, but not resized, with NO sharpening whatsoever.
    Waddaya think ?

a00a8f05dbfb95d3ce6bc2c0d1c29fb9_86e.

2. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I like it. I don't know that I would say it stands out from some of the other lenses you have. I think it has good sharpness and bokeh but it look to my aging eyes that the contrast is not quite as much as the Minolta images you have been posting. The rendering looks very nice. It reminds me a lot of the Jupiter-8 image wise (that's good). Perhaps the better questions is what do YOU think? How is it to use? Is it a keeper madame exotic lens guru?

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ah ah. It's a very nice lens. A little cold war unsexy austere German style, in a good kind of way. I could probably run over it with my (old) Audi and it'd still work fine. I find it optically impressive. I still need time to get familiar with it. True that the Rokkors are hard to top, but I think the Rollei might be a tad above in sharpness, at least.

5. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I agree with dixeyk - looks good but not quite the 'wow factor' contrast and rendering of the Minolta 1.4 which looked fantastic. It's only 1 picture though so my judgement (and also ageing eyes) may be premature. :)

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Nyanis congratulations, I think the addiction to MF is to become every day more insatiable, this 50mm seems to be very good, this was part of Carl Ziess? I hear about the Rollei 50mm f/1.4 Planar, it's not too cheap, and had an excellent reputation and produce great photos, also i think it's M42 and the multi-coating was Carl Zeiss T* but after a disagreement with Zeiss, Rollei referred to it as HFT.