1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokkor PF 55mm f1.7 vs Nikkor 50mm 1.4 ai-s

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dennyhalim, Aug 15, 2013.

1. dennyhalim

dennyhalim TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Hi,

Anyone can help me, if you have any experience with this two lenses?
    Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55mm f1.7 vs Nikkor 50mm f1.4 ai-s
    How do the performance?
    If you given a choice, which one you choose?

Thank you

2. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have never used the Nikkor, so I am not able to provide the comparison that you requested. However, I have been using the Minolta 55mm f:1.7 since I purchased it with my Minolta SRT-101 in 1967. I have no complaints about the lens and am still using it with my NEX-6, as I posted in the thread at:

https://www.talkemount.com/f12/minolta-55mm-f-1-7-mc-rokkor-nex-6-a-2863/

I have never heard any bad things about the Nikkor, but have no experience with it, so I cannot provide personal input in that area.

- Tom -

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Even though both are MF lenses, the Minolta 55mm/1.7 was product of the late 60s, and the Nikon AI-S 50mm/1.4 was product of the late 70s. The Nikon AI-S probably has better coating, and of course it's also faster. But I feel the Minolta is more bang for the buck. Stop down a bit it's very sharp, and wide open it has very interesting bokeh. The build quality and manual focus feel of the Minolta is excellent.

See image samples
    https://www.talkemount.com/f39/minolta-55mm-f-1-7-mc-rokkor-pf-1086/
    Minolta 55mm f/1.7 Rokkor MC Image Thread - Micro Four Thirds User Forum (micro 4/3)
    2011-10 GG - a set on Flickr (micro 4/3)

The price of these two lenses should be quite different, the Minolta between $20 and $50, the Nikon $150 and up. So your budget is also a consideration. (One of the reason the Nikon is more expensive, is because it can be used on almost all Nikon SLR/DSLR models, and adaptable on Canon DSLR as well)

4. dennyhalim

dennyhalim TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Thank you -et- and eno789,

Really appreciated your kind reply, i will stick with my rokkor.

Cheers!