1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokkor/Leica 35-70/3.5 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 16, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I picked this lens up from a reseller in England (that I like a lot) for a great price. Even with rather pricey shipping it ended up being a bit cheaper than buying from KEH. It arrived today and the vendor wasn't kidding when they said in 95% shape. It's gorgeous. So i popped it on my MD adapter and scrambled out into the gray rainy afternoon to my mostly dead vegetable beds and got this

8191204987_927f07a139_b.
    tmayters by dixeyk, on Flickr

This is SOOC (with some cropping) 1/60th handheld using the 1:4 macro option (close focuses to about 8 inches or so). The 1:7 macro appears to be about 18 inches and normal MFD is a bit under a meter. It focus peaks well and I am quite impressed with the color and sharpness (we're talking a $40 zoom lens here). It has the same build as my MC Rokkors and I think this could be a really useful lens. I understand that this lens also was sold as a Leica as well. I had someone on another board offer to sell me their Leica branded one for $400.

2. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Glad to hear it arrived safely. Bit of a heavy thing isn't it? :) They don't build them like that anymore (well at least not for $40!). When you say reseller do you mean as in a camera shop that also sells second hand stuff or an ebay seller?

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    It looks very sharp, looks like a good lens for 40 doloares works great, the picture is very good and without PP, wow is beautiful. I would like to see more pictures soon.
    almost forgot congrats friend. : D

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It is sharp, as you would expect, but the way it handles that very busy background is really nice.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's not a small lens no, but it feels very good in hand. It's a brick and mortar store that sells on the web as well. Vintage & Classic Camera Co.. It was my first time buying from them and I am very pleased. I got it in less than a week form the UK.

You can say that again. It really is a super bargain. That said, it is also a heck of a lens as well. I would go so far as to say that it's performance at between 35-50 is very close to what primes can do (albeit slower). I'll give it a go tomorrow and post more.

I was pretty surprised (and pleased) when I saw that as well.

Judging from my experience thus far with the Minoltas I think they are vastly undervalued and represent a heck of deal. Of course they have been steadily gaining in price over the past few years as more folks discover them. The Minolta/Leitz 24/2.8 could be had for around $100 a few years ago and now it commands $200-$300. BTW, that and the 100/2.5 are on my acquire list for the future. I'll be keeping an eye out for good deals on them.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for posting, the ridiculous cheapness of macro capable zooms has also piqued my interest. Unfortunately it's just more stuff I won't have the time to do justice to :( Hope you catch some critters! (is 70mm long enough for that?)

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    8192609358_efb78544a4_b.
    more tymaters by dixeyk, on Flickr

Here's another (I promise better subjects tomorrow). This is also SOOC. Not bad for a "kit lens". :eek:

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It depends on what kind of critters...maybe (my dogs, yes). MFD is about .8 meters when not in macro mode. I have a Konica 135/3.2 and 200/3.5 for things like birds, that but this could be pretty useful. I think the macro abilities really put it over the top for me. I'll give it a proper test drive tomorrow and report back.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very pleasant looking, nice catch.

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    8195200684_d7ff801655_b.
    Sock by dixeyk, on Flickr

Macro mode, handheld @ f4 - 1/6th of a second @ ISO 3200 in really dark conditions (major illumination was a fireplace and the TV).

11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    8196666969_d46d73002f_b.
    Apples by dixeyk, on Flickr

Weather is not cooperating so more slow moving prey

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice contrasts here, well done. Looks like there might be a little extra protein in a couple of those. ;)

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yes, that's one way of describing it. This a a picnic table in my yard that I left "offerings" for the local wildlife on.

14. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Great photos.beautiful shot of the dog, slightly melancholy if I may say. Your photos often have intense mood, which I love.