1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rokkor 100/2.5 and 24/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The 24 arrived today and I plan to put it through its paces but I do have one quick observation...holy cr@p that is one heavy lens. It must weigh twice what my Hexanon 24 weighs. It actually feels pretty nice in the hand but the weight is really a shock because it's a pretty compact lens. The 100 I have had for a few days and it is really growing on me. I have never really been a fan of the 100mm FL but I am definitely changing my mind about that now. The IQ is nice, sharp wide open and dreamy smooth backgrounds.

The Rokkor 100/2.5 (both handheld in low light). It's a remarkably easy lens to keep steady.
    8248119677_601c5f0b57_b.
    Snaggle by dixeyk, on Flickr

8243912346_6408a9018a_b.
    Dozer by dixeyk, on Flickr

I have only fired off a few shots with the 24 and so far the color is consistent and matches my other Rokkors. I also feel like it has a bit less contrast and in some ways the IQ reminds me of my 35-70/3.5 macro (that's a good thing). The build is lovely and despite feeling like it weighs five pounds it is very nice in hand.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I REALLY like that first shot!

Like you I never used to give that FL much thought but since I inherited a 105mm macro, I've fallen hard for its background melting ability. I certainly don't feel any FF-envy at this viewing angle! ;)

Funny, my old Rokkor 24mm lens didn't seem that heavy to me. But I have a few real monster items now that would make a lot of things seem feather-light by comparison.

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, I really am enjoying what that 100/2.5 can do. As for the weight of the 24...I don't find it objectionable but compared to my other 24 it was a surprise...mostly because i thought the Hex was pretty burly to start with. I ma anxious to take it out. It's reputed to have been a design that made it's way to being a Leica R lens as well.

4. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Like them both but the second one best. Colour and contrast are really good here :)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Looking forward to your impressions of the 24mm. If it is indeed the optical daddy of the Leica, that'll save me the hassle of trying out this focal length in Leica-R mount! ;)

My Rokkor 24mm has its quirks but center sharpness can be impressive enough, I could see it being deemed "worthy".

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Aside from the weight my very first impression is that it's not quite as sharp as my Hexanon 24/2.8 but the color seems better. Of course sharpness isn't everything and the Hex 24 is a spectacular lens in its own right. It might take a few days given the lousy weather were having but I'll make sure the Rokkor gets a good look.