1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokinon Fisheye 8mm - E mount or Canon mount and adapter?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Revrock, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Revrock

Revrock TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey guys I was wondering if you could chime in with any advice. There's a sale now for the Rokinon 8mm 3.5 on ebay US, and they offer the Canon Mount as well as the Sony E-mount. I have an old Eos and might pick up another Eos body in the future. But I shoot mainly with my NEX. Should I get the Canon for more flexibility or just stick to the E-mount? I have a cheap Eos to Nex adapter, so if I went with the Canon it would just be a little longer on the NEX. Do you guys know of any other drawbacks if I went with the Canon?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd recommend the newer f/2.8 version instead of the older f/3.5 version. Better optically and much smaller.

3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    E-mount rokinon is as mentioned above.

Why not to have small-fisheye on your small-nex and another lens (50/1,4) on your new eos body (5DIII) in future? :) I will do so with my Nikon. Not for travelling, but for wedding surely.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The helicoid in these 8mm lenses travels something like 0.5 mm and most cheap adapters are about 0.3 mm too short so be prepared to shim your adapter. Despite that I am getting mine in pk mount.

5. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    The smaller e mount lens is fantastic and is half the weight. The canon mount version with an adapter pushes the extra weight further forward away from the tripod mount on the camera (unless the adapter has a tripod mount).

6. Revrock

Aug 7, 2013
    Ah, yeah that's exactly one part of the equation I was looking at - how shooting with this lens and the adapter.

8DAD486F047E4A308213F0924B0C8FB1.

There's an E-mount f3.5 version that has a Sony E-mount bayonet attached already. So you're saying the length of this bayonet is different from the length of most adapters? And that I'll need to take the hood off because it'll be in the frame...

I see, thanks for the input!

7. Revrock

Aug 7, 2013
    Definitely another part of the equation I was wondering about, the weight. Yeah, you're absolutely right, I didn't think about how it would be balanced when mounted on a tripod, big point! The Nex 18-55 kit lens is half the weight of this Rokinon 8mm 3.5 lens, and it's already front heavy. Can't imagine adding 200 more grams and extended with the adapter.

Thanks a lot for that info, I'm definitely reconsidering this lens. I think the smaller 2.8 lens dedicated to the mirrorless cameras might be the better way to go. Easier and smaller to carry around.

8. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    I've got the Samyang ( same thing ) 8mm F/2.8 and it is great in the native E-mount. I did look at adapting another mount version to the NEX but I'm glad I didn't, it just saves swapping adapters and fiddling around. I just twist it on and shoot. Very light, really sharp, really happy I got one.

9. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013