1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Bimjo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Mine showed up last evening after dark, so I had to wait until this morning to do some comparison shots. These have no artistic merit at all, just trying to show how wide this puppy is. ;)

So, I previously had a Pentax DA 10-17mm zoom, which I sold to fund the Rokinon. The Rokinon is about ½ the size of the Pentax, even without the K mount adapter, so it's a much more compact package on the NEX. The Rok is faster, but the Pentax is a zoom. The lens cap on the Pentax is a very nice metal slip-on (very similar to the CV caps), the Rok lens cap also slips on, but it's much deeper and it actually snaps onto the lens hood.

The Rok front element protrudes much more than the Pentax front element and the hood is much larger on the Rok (that's a good thing). Even with that it's really easy to get your fingers or your feets in the pic if you so desire. ;)

Dioptrick wondered how I got my overhead sky shots with the Pentax without getting my noggin in the pic since i use the 5N with external EVF. With the EVF tilted up all the way and the camera pointed up you can stand normally like you would for a normal shot. In other words- you can shoot straight up and not bend over backwards to do it.

I hypothesized at the time that with the Rok I might have to alter my technique. Turns out not to be the case, it works fine. I would have to take my hat off though, which I wouldn't have had to do with the Pentax.

Enough werdz, show pics!

First the Pentax
    evening_cloud121202_01.

And the Rok (position not the same on this one, I didn't look at the old pic before I shot this)
    rok8_test130214_02.

The Pentax again
    evening_cloud121202_02.

And the Rok again (got pretty close to the same spot on this one)
    rok8_test130214_01.

The Pentax shots were at f/8, the Rok shots at F/2.8. All the Rok shots were focused at infinity. Click stops are well defined, including ½ stops. I should note that the focus ring is very smooth, but very stiff. Not sure yet if that's good or bad, but since the DOF is huge it probably doesn't matter. Ninety percent of the shots I'll take with this lens will be at infinity anyway.

Couple more shots just playing around. I'll post up some serious stuff later, when I decide what I'm going to shoot. ;)

rok8_test130214_03.

rok8_test130214_04.

Attached Files:

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    For some reason, looking at fisheye pics makes my stomach queasy. The distortion I guess. Anyone else affected like that?

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Fisheye shots don't bother me, but I avoid carnival rides like the plague. :eek_old::cower:

4. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    haha...same effect. I will say that what little of the shots I saw, they looked good and the lens looks like it's a keeper other than the fact it makes my want to vomit...lol...no fisheye for me I guess.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Got out this afternoon to run this lens through its paces. Started at (in) the county courthouse. All shot at F/2.8 and infinity focus.

courthouse130214_03.

courthouse130214_04.

courthouse130214_06.

courthouse130214_10.

After I left the courthouse I wandered down to the local lighthouse.

A little fishy.
    clover_island130214_01.

Really fishy.
    clover_island130214_02.

Not so fishy.
    clover_island130214_03.

Not at all fishy. This is a crop, it's about ⅓ of the frame.
    clover_island130214_04.

Attached Files:

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    This one keeps playing tricks with my eyes, they keep flipping the dome in and out every time I look at it... and it's making me queasy! But awesome shots Jim

Attached Files:

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not a big fisheye fan myself but those shots inside the courthouse (the little fishy ones :p) are amazing!!!
    Nice work Jim ;)

8. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    The dome shot is great. Not because it doesn't make me sick, but because it's just a really cool shot. The rest I can't look at long enough to say...lol

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If this makes you queasy be glad I could get directly under the thing. That really messes with your head. :)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Nick, it's a really good purchase so far.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Chad, quit torturing yourself man!

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, before I took off for the courthouse and the lighthouse yesterday I shot the front of the house (yeah, I know I need to rake leaves and paint) to see how wide this thing will shoot. So here's one for you math wizards- the house is 59 feet long and I was 9 feet away. So, what color are my eyes?

rok8_test130214_05.

Really wicked flare. Kinda cool, but I couldn"t reproduce it. Stars aligned just right? Didn't pay my lens appreciation dues? I dunno. [shrug]

Attached Files:

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I love the internet. According to the handy dandy online calculator I found, this lens produces a FOV of 146° horizontally. Didn't tell me my eye color though.

14. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    Brown!

I like this lens very well. Especially if I should take panoramic photos (or 360) (and use AutoPano (Giga)).

Great creative pictures you have here.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    !!!Chad Alert!!! Don't look dude, it'll make you quesy again. ;)

I just love this stuff.
    fisheye_sky130219_01.

Just a tad washed out in the upper left corner from the sun. I could probably fix it, but it really doesn't bother me.

Attached Files:

16. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Awesome stuff Jim, glad you like the Rok as much as I do :)

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks. I need to drag it out a bit more often than I do. I'm really waiting for my next trip to the (any) big city that has more than one building over 3 stories tall. ;)

18. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Well I have just left the big city of Auckland as I am now based down in the smaller city of Hamilton which doesn't have many tall buildings. I think I will be using the fisheye mostly for landscape and portraits now ( and general WHOA ! Shots lol )

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Oh, you can definitely have fun with a fisheye no matter where you are. :biggrin:

20. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    3 Exposure HDR

pelicanparkhdr-XL.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4