Review Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 ED UMC Lens for Sony E Mount Review

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I can confirm that the Canon 135 f2 really doesn't autofocus in a useful way on any adapter I've tried (And according to others not on any other - I've tried MBIII and Fotga)
So it's effectively a manual focus 135. I'd buy the Rokinon ahead of it. But if, like me, you have a Canon 135 I'd keep it until a native AF option (Batis or Zony) comes out. Looking at Photozone the Canon and the Samyang/Rokinon are pretty similar, maybe the canon is even a tiny bit better wide open.
In the measurements by Lenstips the Samyang actually beats the Canon:
http://www.lenstip.com/442.4-Lens_review-Samyang_135_mm_f_2.0_ED_UMC_Image_resolution.html

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I can confirm that the Canon 135 f2 really doesn't autofocus in a useful way on any adapter I've tried (And according to others not on any other - I've tried MBIII and Fotga)
So it's effectively a manual focus 135. I'd buy the Rokinon ahead of it. But if, like me, you have a Canon 135 I'd keep it until a native AF option (Batis or Zony) comes out. Looking at Photozone the Canon and the Samyang/Rokinon are pretty similar, maybe the canon is even a tiny bit better wide open.
David, what Sony body are you using?

RickJoudrey

New to TalkEmount
Unfortunately the 'autofocus' part is such a 'huge' caveat. This lens is simple too large and too fast to enjoy shooting wide open portraits with manual focus. Obviously there are some people that are different but not many (shaolin probably considers it lightweight compared to his other lenses!). I can see a lot of people buying this because there is a massive amount of image quality at a ridiculously low price. But if they have say an Batis 85, my guess would be that a manual focus 135 f2 would simply be left in the closet.
I am having no focus problems with focus peaking.

Deebs

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
David
In the measurements by Lenstips the Samyang actually beats the Canon:
http://www.lenstip.com/442.4-Lens_review-Samyang_135_mm_f_2.0_ED_UMC_Image_resolution.html
Yes I noticed that; photozone gives it by a hair to Canon. But they are both so good that small sample variation will take it one way rather than another. Samyang stuff does seem to be especially prone to sample variation (my 14mm Samyang for Canon mount was stellar; my 14mm in E mount is so terrible I'm not prepared to sell it because it's not fair. Wish I'd kept the other one to use on an adapter!)

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Yes I noticed that; photozone gives it by a hair to Canon. But they are both so good that small sample variation will take it one way rather than another. Samyang stuff does seem to be especially prone to sample variation (my 14mm Samyang for Canon mount was stellar; my 14mm in E mount is so terrible I'm not prepared to sell it because it's not fair. Wish I'd kept the other one to use on an adapter!)
I am trying to make up my mind if I should get it on Nikon mount or E mount myself. Easier to sell in Nikon mount maybe and smaller to store since I can place the adapter on a different compartment etc.

Deebs

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
David
I am trying to make up my mind if I should get it on Nikon mount or E mount myself. Easier to sell in Nikon mount maybe and smaller to store since I can place the adapter on a different compartment etc.
I'd get it in E mount; increasingly it's going to be easy to sell as E mount takes off. And while the F mount is shorter, I find that I don't want to hassle with adapters so if I use a lens a lot I just leave the adapter on permanently, which is (a) expensive coz you have to buy an adapter for each legacy lens and (b) means there's no size benefit (and a weight cost)

Just much nicer to get the E mount version...(I don't think by E mount 14 was bad because it was e mount, it was just a bad sample)

grillec

TalkEmount Veteran
If I had the choice I would go to the longest distance between lens and sensor. So I could use it on a Sony E and on a Nikon. But I don't know if the E-Mount version is chipped to share the information of focal length.

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
If I had the choice I would go to the longest distance between lens and sensor. So I could use it on a Sony E and on a Nikon. But I don't know if the E-Mount version is chipped to share the information of focal length.
I think only the Nikon can have that option sadly.

Deebs

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
David
Interesting news:

There's new firmware for the Metabones adapters! It says it supports Phase detect AF (I guess I thought it was supported already, but maybe only mildly)
One guy on DPR has installed it already and the Canon 135 f2 now focusses pretty well!

SO I think I'll send my MBIII in for update (unfortunately you can't update the III yourself, but it's free except for the $US 35 I'll have to pay for return shipping)

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Well, I got one on the way now. Should be home on Wednesday to fill a gap between my FE 55 and the Canon FD 300mm 2.8. In reality I got the FL 135mm 2.5 but is not a nice lens when it comes to dealing with any sunlight. Pretty darn sharp though so not sure if the Samyang will impress me that much but based on the sample images here, I dont see how it will NOT impress me...of course my A7ii is not the MP monster the A7Rii is. :D

jayt90

New to TalkEmount
I have the Vivitar 135 f/2.3, but it is bulky on Nex, about 730 g. with adapter. My a6000 is being shipped to me, so I'll try to live with it. More most landscapes, still lifes etc. I do just as well with the Komine made 135 f2.8
I wonder why there are not more autofocus 135 lenses at f/2.8 or 3.5

Amin Sabet

Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder why there are not more autofocus 135 lenses at f/2.8 or 3.5
In general it seems that the companies think the really fast lenses will be the most popular/profitable, but I too would like to see some slower, smaller options. A nice 90mm f/2.8 autofocus lens would be very useful as well.

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
There is also Sony 85mm 2.8 Sonnar which af with LA-EA3/4 adapters and mfd is 55cm, less than 2 ft. Contax g 90mm is more contrasty, saturated, but has longer mfd... Sony has larger dia, but they are at similar length with the la-ea3 adapter.

In general it seems that the companies think the really fast lenses will be the most popular/profitable, but I too would like to see some slower, smaller options. A nice 90mm f/2.8 autofocus lens would be very useful as well.

Nice review of a lens I'll not be buying because a) it's not a zoom, b) it doesn't offer autofocus and c) doesn't provide EXIF data. On "not a zoom", I can't imagine using a prime telephoto lens for people shots, I'm zooming the heck out of my FE 4/70-200 under such circumstances. But indeed, the image quality is beyond criticism.

Once again, thanks for sharing the raws, evaluating them is like testing a lens of my own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom