• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

rokinon 12mm or Venus 15mm macro

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I don't really think anyone can help me make this decision, lol, but why not kick up a conversation :)

I need an UWA option, and am thinking of not doing the zooms (10-18 isn't really doing it for me, and the 16-35 is pretty expensive).

Two MF lenses are interesting -- Rokinon 12/2 seems highly rated all around, is aps-c mount (so 18mm eq) and quite compact.

But there's also the Venus Optics 15mm macro. It's bigger, but is also for full frame (so is effectively wider on my a7). I also think the macro/close focus would be quite fun. Maybe, too, the tilt, though I'm not sure I really need that. Even on crop, it's 22mm, which is pretty wide.

The rokinon used is around $250, and the Venus isn't really around used, so it's $480 new.

So, +$230 for close focus/macro and tilt (or shift -- one or the other. I forget which one). The Rok is f/2 vs f/4 for the Venus, so the Rok is a little nicer indoors, travel, etc.

hmmmm...

Last edited:

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Hmmmm... I have an m-mount helicoid (or could get another) which would give me my wide angle macro on a voigt :)

D

Deleted member 5158

I bought the Canon 500D close up lens for my rokinon. It does improve the closeup ability but not dramatically.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I have all the lenses I need for now, which is to say that I have spent all of my lens budget. But in anticipation of refreshed funds in the future I am thinking about that next lens. I have not been able to do macro since my (very) old Speed Graphic days, so I think about trying it again. I have considered the Venus 15mm. But here is my question, for those who actually do macro. Is 15mm a strange focal length for macro? It seems to me that a person would be required to get very close to an object to get a macro 1:1 image with a 15 mm lens. The thin lens formula tells us that 1/o + i/i = 1/f where "o" is object distance, "i" is image distance, and "f" is focal length of lens. So I think that a 1:1 macro image with a 15mm lens requires o=30mm and i=30mm. And since modern photo lenses are not truly thin, that puts the front element extremely close to the object.

The shift ability on the Venus could be really cool and that seems appropriate for wide angle. But to repeat my question, is 15mm a strange and difficult to use focal length for macro work??

D

Deleted member 5158

>SNIP
I have considered the Venus 15mm. But here is my question, for those who actually do macro. Is 15mm a strange focal length for macro? It seems to me that a person would be required to get very close to an object to get a macro 1:1 image with a 15 mm lens. The thin lens formula tells us that 1/o + i/i = 1/f where "o" is object distance, "i" is image distance, and "f" is focal length of lens. So I think that a 1:1 macro image with a 15mm lens requires o=30mm and i=30mm. And since modern photo lenses are not truly thin, that puts the front element extremely close to the object.
Yes 4,7mm the review says
The shift ability on the Venus could be really cool and that seems appropriate for wide angle. But to repeat my question, is 15mm a strange and difficult to use focal length for macro work??
Probably but it's so cooool to get something small look big up close and still show the background

D

Deleted member 5158

12mm samyang on A6000 dug down a bit.
DSC03617.JPG
   ---            

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have all the lenses I need for now, which is to say that I have spent all of my lens budget. But in anticipation of refreshed funds in the future I am thinking about that next lens. I have not been able to do macro since my (very) old Speed Graphic days, so I think about trying it again. I have considered the Venus 15mm. But here is my question, for those who actually do macro. Is 15mm a strange focal length for macro? It seems to me that a person would be required to get very close to an object to get a macro 1:1 image with a 15 mm lens. The thin lens formula tells us that 1/o + i/i = 1/f where "o" is object distance, "i" is image distance, and "f" is focal length of lens. So I think that a 1:1 macro image with a 15mm lens requires o=30mm and i=30mm. And since modern photo lenses are not truly thin, that puts the front element extremely close to the object.

Reviews state for 1:1 you have to basically touch the subject with the lens.

It is certainly not a "classic" macro lens. My interest in it is to epxlore something completely different, and not shoot standard macro. If you want to do more of the classic macro stuff, then I would say this is not for you (especially with a 0" working distance!!)

pworden

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Patti
Reviews state for 1:1 you have to basically touch the subject with the lens.

It is certainly not a "classic" macro lens. My interest in it is to epxlore something completely different, and not shoot standard macro. If you want to do more of the classic macro stuff, then I would say this is not for you (especially with a 0" working distance!!)
I've looked at this as well, and view it as a creative lens. I think that flash would be essential, probably even outdoors unless the subject was totally still.

D

Deleted member 5158

But at those working distance use of flash may be very difficult.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG
D

Deleted member 5158

Yes but your subject may inside the space of the filterthread so your flash needs to point toward the lenselement backlighting your subject. Hmm petalshaped diffusing lenshood? :) Crazy closeups indeed. I really want that lens.

Ericst11

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Eric Stoiber
I have a Venus Optics 15mm macro it is a well built lens but also a full manual lens, bare bones . It takes some very nice shots but is a hard lens for me to get use to. I shoot a lot of macro but very hard to work with . I bought it because i wanted a nice ultra wide and thought the macro ability was nice to go along with it . But wish i would have just waited and bought a 16-35 sony. Down the road i'll more then likely trade it or sell it.

snpr9696

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Joe DAgostino
Nice review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Top Bottom