• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Rokinon 12mm f/2.0

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
(Disclaimer: I have the Sony 10-18 often at the wide side, and totally amateur, so take what I say with a grain of salt.)

I find it can be difficult to get the horizon level, particularly if you are anything other than straight in front of the subject. Something you really have to watch for. If you have not already tried it, enable the rule-of-thirds grid overlay. In post, you often have perspective correction tools you might play with for correction of wide-angle shots. I have been amazed at how well Capture One can do this, though such corrections can then introduce their own distortions or other issues.

I definitely had a lot more appreciation for well-done wide-angle photography once I actually tried doing it myself.
Nice shots.

D

Deleted member 5158

DSC07265.JPG
   ---            
DSC06816_1.JPG
   ---            

Henipah

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Liam
I was surprised there isn't much astrophotography featured here because this lens is amazing at it. I have the Samyang version on my a6000, this is my best Milky Way image so far:
1C2UzWb.jpg
   ---            

Taken at Lake Walyungup near Perth, Western Australia. 21 exposures for 10s at f/2.8, ISO 3200.

I used shorter exposures to avoid star trails. They were combined using auto-align and median stack on Photoshop CC after some simple raw adjustments. I then applied a few regional curves adjustments for light pollution. Finally I split the image and applied noise reduction and unsharp mask on colour and luminosity layers, respectively.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I was surprised there isn't much astrophotography featured here because this lens is amazing at it. I have the Samyang version on my a6000, this is my best Milky Way image so far:
1C2UzWb.jpg
   ---            

Taken at Lake Walyungup near Perth, Western Australia. 21 exposures for 10s at f/2.8, ISO 3200.

I used shorter exposures to avoid star trails. They were combined using auto-align and median stack on Photoshop CC after some simple raw adjustments. I then applied a few regional curves adjustments for light pollution. Finally I split the image and applied noise reduction and unsharp mask on colour and luminosity layers, respectively.

HOT DAYM! dats a sexy photo! you are makin the PP look so easy.
i've watched the videos everything you said wasn't the first time i've heard it...
but i get about half way through the process and my brain turns to mush
i'm not a fan of photoshop at all... more of a lightroom person...

i just want an EZ button!

Last edited:

Alex_Apo

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the lens from Monday but due to work, finally today I found time for some first shots. Totally satisfied!!! :D

@f2
29079558653_67b8eb36ed_b.jpg
   ---            
In Between
by Alex Apostolopoulos, on Flickr

@f4
DSC08973-Edit.jpg
   ---            

@f2
DSC08978-Edit.jpg
   ---            

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
I often see the reference "Rokinon / Samyang 12mm" with both names together.
Are they the same lens, or thought to be equivalent quality lenses or something ?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I believe Samyang is the actual lens maker, and Rokinon is a marketing label on the very same lenses. Samyang lenses are also rebadged under other names, but in this case they are actually the same company.

At least, that's what I've read on the internet, so it must be true.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
I believe Samyang is the actual lens maker, and Rokinon is a marketing label on the very same lenses. Samyang lenses are also rebadged under other names, but in this case they are actually the same company.

At least, that's what I've read on the internet,
so it must be true.
LOL...

Glad to hear that as I just received a Samyang 12mm/2.0 made for the Sony e-mount.
Ran off a couple dozen no-nothing function test shots in the yard on an NEX7 just now.
Everything works fine, IQ seems fine, sharp as a tack, etc.

D

Deleted member 5158

But you can make ugly shot with it.
This is done with a Canon 500D close up lens in front.
DSC07413.JPG
   ---            

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Great work @Alex_Apo !!!
I'm sure you will create beautiful pictures with your new lens ;)
Very photographed place but 1st and last are framings I've never seen before ;)

Alex_Apo

TalkEmount Veteran
You are going to love this lens Alex and I can see the lens is already showing you some love right out the box. :2thumbs:

Totally agree Gary!!! I already love this lens from the first 10 shots :)
I'm looking forward to try the lens for landscapes and long exposures!! ( The only strange thing is that i have hard time finding some info about square nd filters. That Formatt Hitech 67mm system is so tempting for the price but i can't find any info if it causes vignetting)

Great work @Alex_Apo !!!
I'm sure you will create beautiful pictures with your new lens ;)
Very photographed place but 1st and last are framings I've never seen before ;)

Thank you Nick!! I know its a very photographed place and this was my "easy walk" for take the first shots with Samyang, but in a strange way you see things completely differently (different frame from 16mm)!!
Also I have not seen the same frames ;)
Then i remembered what David @WoodWorks said couple of days before "Did you ever notice, when you get a new lens, everything seems to fit in that focal length" :biggrin:

Alex_Apo

TalkEmount Veteran
Has anyone use circular ND filters? i want to ask if the 67mm (slim) filter cause any vignetting and it's better for a larger filter (e.g 72,77 with step up ring). And something more extreme :rolleyes-20: has anyone use two filters stacked (e.g nd and cpl)?

HabsFan

TalkEmount Veteran
Has anyone use circular ND filters? i want to ask if the 67mm (slim) filter cause any vignetting and it's better for a larger filter (e.g 72,77 with step up ring). And something more extreme :rolleyes-20: has anyone use two filters stacked (e.g nd and cpl)?

I used a 10 stop ND B+W filter with this lens and did not notice any significant vignetting. This filter is not particularly slim, I've had thinner filters before. The image below is from a Previous thread. I probably added a slight vignette in post and this is a slight crop from the original file but I just checked it and the corner were fine, no vignette. I have a UV filter at home in the same size, Maybe I'll try it this weekend stacked with the 10 stop and see what happens.

dsc00995-jpg.23101.jpg
   ---            

Alex_Apo

TalkEmount Veteran
I used a 10 stop ND B+W filter with this lens and did not notice any significant vignetting. This filter is not particularly slim, I've had thinner filters before. The image below is from a Previous thread. I probably added a slight vignette in post and this is a slight crop from the original file but I just checked it and the corner were fine, no vignette. I have a UV filter at home in the same size, Maybe I'll try it this weekend stacked with the 10 stop and see what happens.

Thanks for the info @HabsFan !!
I intend to buy the Haida slim pro ii mc (nd3.0 or nd1.8) which I used with the sony 16mm and i was very satisfied.
If the original file of the above photo has no vignette, then I am happy because there's no need of a larger diameter filter.
I will wait for your stacked sample!! :)

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Alex - I also used the B&W with this Rokinon 12mm. It will vignette. In fact ever ND filter will have some vignetting on a UWA. The angle at which the light enters is already extreme. That's why most UWAs already exhibit vignetting without a filter. the filter ring will block this light further. How much will differ base on a number of things from the intensity of the ND, the thickness of the ring, the lens design. I say this so your expectations are reasonable not to discourage you. As for your experience with the 16, that is not really a UWA. It has 24mm FF eq. Where as the Rokinon is 18mm. You shot both so you already know that difference is like night and day.

Your Haida should be fine if it was good for you on the 16mm, I believe it vignettes less than my B&W. Just keep in mind this is a UWA.

I have to say for someone that shot that 16 for as long as you did, I shocked at this new found pixel peeping attitude.;) Go out and shoot man!

D

Deleted member 5158

12/2 with Lee bigstopper on a way to Sunny day
DSC06151.JPG
   ---            

Latest posts

Top Bottom