1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokinon 12/2 (APS-C)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Mattithjah, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's a 10mm rumored as well. Not sure if it's an E mount though.

3. BonoVox

BonoVox New to TalkEmount

Sep 19, 2013
    10mm is for dslrs only.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk

4. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    10/2,8 is designed primarily for DSLR, so E-mount version is pretty huge compare to 12/2 (primarily for csc).

For E-mount:

620g vs 245g !!!

physical lenght 132 vs 59mm !!!

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    According to the specs, it's about the same size and a little lighter than the Touit 2.8/12 - impressive for a lens that's a whole stop faster! Without seeing any samples or MTF curves, the only thing I can say with certainty from the specs is that the bokeh won't be impressive. An aperture with 6 blades (compared to 9 in the Touit) never is a good thing - but hey, it's an ultra wide angle, so that shouldn't hurt too much.

Everything else seems fine so far. I'm curious how this will perform - building such a wide, extremely fast lens at a third of the price of the Zeiss counterpart is quite a statement. If vignetting and distortion are well controlled, this could be a winner. If it also doesn't show comatic aberrations, it could even become the default astrophotography lens for all APS-C CSC users.

Edit: And there IS an E-Mount version of the 10mm f/2.8.

6. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    AF take some space…

If blades will be rounded enough? Still different, but not above f5,6..

10/2.8 has emount version, but it is only dslr version with built in adapter… I would rather buy Nikon version + adapter in this case…

Matej (sent from phone)

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Touit already is very small for a lens of this class, so it's still an accomplishment of Samyang to make it this small.

Above f/5.6 on a 12mm lens you probably won't see any bokeh at all ...

It will be very interesting how it performs. I doubt it'll be perfect, but if it's good enough, it's one of the hottest lenses this year for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    This is really interesting. Unfortunately I have very little money for toys now but I might get one in the autumn if it will perform well. The press release is very unclear about it's image circle. If usable image circle is almost ff this lens may be pretty interesting for A7/A7R folks too.

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Seeing the prize, size and maximum aperture, I'm pretty sure it will vignette visibly even on APS-C, so hoping for an almost ff image circle seems like dreaming. :s

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, it seems to be ASP-C lens only. Eagerly waiting for reviews, however. I will probably wait for FF for something like 3-4 years anyway.

11. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    12/2 for FF… :-D something like this has never been made before!…

Matej (sent from phone)

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I ordered mine today. Reviews were pretty nice and I am planning visit to Tallinn in a couple of weeks and its old town needs a wide lens. Vignetting seems to be major issue with it.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's a full stop faster than the 12mm Touit, and two full stops faster than the Sony 10-18. So you know, you can always stop down a stop or two and get rid of any vignetting. That's just one more advantage of having a bigger aperture. :)

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, that is true. With architecture I will be using tripod anyway and will probably be using aperture 8 for most shooting. Same is true for landscapes too. I think that Nex 7 will tolerate some removal of vignetting too as it is something like -1.6 stops wide open.

I need to take some astrophotos too. Unfortunately weather hasn't been favourable here in Finland for a long time. It has been either rain or very hot (about consecutive 23 days at about 30 Celsius) and I have been very busy at work and leisure (repairing old barn).

15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So, what's your experience with this lens ? I have a Sigma 12-24 for A-mount that is a great sharp lens with a versatile range but it's size and weight make it a lousy travel companion for Nex, not if I want to travel light and take 18-105 with me. I did it in September and with 12-24, 18-105, 30/2.8 and Nex-6 my small messenger bag looked like it was about to burst. I was thinking of selling Sigma and getting the Rokinon, I don't think I need AF in that FL.

16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think the lens is fantastic. You can check out my flickr page. >80% of the Landscapes are with this lens. And the others are likely the 18-108G, so we would pretty much have the same "go to" package.

17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, Gary, loved your landscapes, although that shaved head on the banner does look kind of disturbing ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Gary, could you give me an idea of the size of that 12mm ? Specs can only tell so much.

E.g. how much bigger than 18-55 is it ? Weight doesn't bother me as much, but I want something portable to replace my Sigma 12-24.