1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rocky Mountain Park waterfall visited and revisited

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Schusskabob, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Last week when we having one of our cloudier and wetter days I took a drive and hike up in Rocky Mountain Park. There is a very heavily used trail to the lake at Loch Vale and I've hiked it many times, but this time I decided to hike along the creek instead, where there is no established trail. A lot of it is in a deep ravine and it does require some bushwhacking but it's a beautiful little stream and was well worth the trouble it took. There was some evidence that people had been there before but, on this day, I saw no one. I found several little waterfalls and cascades and with the mist and soft lighting it looked perfect for some photos. My mistake was in neglecting to bring a neutral density filter, so I ended up shooting a lot at f22 in order to get the blur in the water. I knew that wasn't ideal, athough I was a little surprised at the loss of sharpness caused by (I assume) diffraction. I was determined to go back and try again another day and felt very lucky when four days later we had similar weather. I didn't have a ND filter for the 10-18mm Sony but I did for the Sony/Zeiss 24mm, so thats what I used. The results were much better. Lesson learned .....take it even if you think you won't need it! Oh, and I now have a filter for the 10-18mm. I may even want to go back again as the colors are changing and certainly want to check it out next spring/summer when there is a lot more water flowing. The first photo is on day one with the 10-18mm and the rest with the 24mm and ND filter. Thanks for looking![​IMG][/url]DSC06383-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG][​IMG][/url]DSC06408-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG][​IMG][/url]DSC06409-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG][​IMG][/url]DSC06398-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by schusskabob, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Great shots !

( #1 and #4 were my favorites )

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ