Rockies Roadtrip (FE28 on Nex-6)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by SpaceManSpiff, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Given the interest in the FE28 f/2 due to the ongoing lens give away contest, I thought I would share some images taken with the FE28 and my NEX-6 from a road trip in June to Colorado.

Great light in El Malpais National Monument (New Mexico)
    (ISO 200, f/9 1/30s)
    RockiesRoadTrip-3-L.

(ISO 200, f/8, 1/100)
    RockiesRoadTrip-2-L.

All the recent rains left Colorado green. The shrub oaks were just leafing out.
    (ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/1600s)
    RockiesRoadTrip-4-L.

I was fascinated by the Aspen trees.
    (ISO 100, f/2, 1/2500s)
    RockiesRoadTrip-5-L.

(ISO 100, f/2.2, 1/320s)
    RockiesRoadTrip-7-L.

until this creepy abandoned building caught my eye...
    (ISO 100, f/2.2, 1/160s)

RockiesRoadTrip-6-L.

...only to get sucked in by the aspens again
    (ISO 100, f/4, 1/800s)
    RockiesRoadTrip-8-L.

This is a favorite focal length of mine on both APS-C and my 35mm film cameras (I'm saving for an A7). I picked up the FE28 because I think it could be great on both APS-C and FF cameras, and it is half a stop to full stop faster than my legacy lenses. I really like this lens: great colors and contrast. This lens does have some distortion -- I have corrected it in LR5 manually. If left uncorrected, the lens seems to shoot wider than 28mm.

• Like Like x 11
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some excellent shots there, thanks !

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Such beautiful sights to see.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Really cool, especially I think both of those vertical shots are just awesome.

It is a great focal length, I have been enjoying shooting 40mm on my film camera lately. And DXOmark actually rates this lens as sharper than the 24mm Zeiss on APSC, which is surprising?

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great series of photos. I like #1 and #5 the best! Thanks for sharing ;)

6. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, Roundball! I just thinking about you and your long FD lenses this evening --on a walkabout late this evening there was a beautiful buck and I only had my OM 135 on me. I could stand to have a primo long lens.

Appreciate it, Dave! Glad you liked them. The Malpais could be on your way if you have a road trip planned to Alberqueque.

Jai --thanks man, have I told you how big a fan I am of awesome? :biggrin: There just is something about that vertical aspen shot that draws me in. I have been trying more vertical compositions lately. i really like the FOV I get from my Minolta 45 f/2 (really wouldn't mind upgrading from my X-370S body though). Re: lens sharpness, I did see the DXO review on this lens...it's pretty remarkable that a FF lens matches a high-end APS-C for sharpness on APS-C.

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It does, I think that shot would look really good printed nice and large.

8. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Good idea! I need to print more of my stuff --it just looks so much better (and different) printed. Been meaning to try out the printing services of my local photo developer --they have some metal prints that look good.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Just lovely...I especially like the golden light on the opening shot.

10. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, guys! Appreciate it. The light on those cliffs was just...epic. I was driving along, minding my own business, looked behind me..."Holy Smokes" --have to stop now and get some shots before the light disappears. It was one of those "Man, I can't believe I just took this shot" kind of moments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Man, these are gorgeous! I can see why you are enamored with this lens. Money well spent.

12. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, Will! Given the prices that the OM 28 f/2 goes for, and the performance of the FE28, I felt I would benefit from going modern despite the cost difference.