1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Roaming through Oregon with the A7 and vintage prime lenses

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jefenator, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've had my A7 for 6 months now - finally got a chance to really put it through its paces on the road!

14383676545_a0fac18595_z.jpg
    Mini Guppy
    by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

My most-used lens was an old Leitz Summicron-R 50mm. It's from the 1960s - not the most modern renderings. But I really like the overall character.

14382445462_ceb9356ef6_z.jpg
    Tillamook Air Museum

The Leitz Summicron-R 35mm also got some action. It had some flare and ghosting issues in the above scene (rather extreme contrast). Also a slight color tint that needs a bit of attention sometimes in post. On the other hand, it is awesomely sharp.

14405150973_12e3eef723_c.jpg
    West Battery, Fort Stevens

I'm still getting used to full-frame, outdoors. When you want that depth of field, even with a fairly distant foreground, you really need to stop down. (But the diffraction takes much less of a toll.)

I haven't done the Colombia River Gorge in decades. Time to fix that!

14391053444_b32ec22307_b.jpg
    Vista House on Colombia River Gorge

I tried a bunch of things for the must-see Multnomah Falls, including several vertical stitched panoramas. This simple grab with the 35mm won out:

14392094765_6445ac1983_c.jpg
    Multnomah Falls

The Hood River region and Mount Hood had obvious charm. Trillium Lake yielded my favorite vista.

14391636634_c3321acaa5_c.jpg
    Mt Hood from Trillium Lake

I really enjoy the A7 for landscape shooting. It's also nice to be back with all manual lenses, just like I used to do back in the day. The A7 feels familiar enough now, I rarely thought about the controls at all - I just went for it. I never had a single problem with focus, blur or exposure on the trip. (Of course, this is a pretty contemplative shooting style...)

14214937407_6a5f0daff8.jpg
    Camp Fire

14400489512_72a8bc4d4a_c.jpg
    Hosmer Lake

Like I said, the 50mm got the majority of the action, like in the above shot of one of my vary favorite spots near Bend, Hosmer Lake. I usually favor the 50mm for stitched panoramas, but when in doubt I'll do a sweep with a couple of different lenses and on this occasion, the 35mm caught the scene better:

14400739264_20eb78a690_b.jpg
    Hosmer Lake Panorama

Telephoto is also becoming more important to me. Here is a stitch from a series of handheld shots with the Micro-Nikkor 105mm.

14216970298_5924bd2365_b.jpg
    Cascade Lakes Mountains

These don't really give the proper impact on a computer screen. This stitch is 23053 x 3361 pixels or about 77.5MP - would make a nice corridor mural!

14222376767_361b897e70_c.jpg
    Smoky Sunset over East Lake

I didn't get an iconic wedding photo like that other gentleman did. But this is the same fire in the background!

Another 105mm shot. Like I said, telephoto is becoming more important for me. For any kind of depth with a long lens on full-frame, you really have to stop way down - this was f/22. The tripod came in real handy. (Wasn't set up very well - poorly balanced and fully extended in portrait orientation - but the electronic front curtain helped avoid any blurring.)

14406403121_17f40a95a0_c.jpg
    Newberry Crater Trail

I actually left a 24mm prime at home by accident!! (First time I've ever done anything like that - I must really be starting to lose it...) That's okay - I didn't find myself missing it at all and 4 lenses seemed like just the right amount for photo-hiking. I did at least remember to bring the [Tokina RMC] 17mm and it saw a bit of use.

14409823025_eb80c5d97a_c.jpg
    Lava Tube Entrance

That's about it - if you're still with me, thanks for looking! (There's a few more shots on the Flickr album if anyone is interested.)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice series of photos! Thanks for sharing ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. cbaus2

cbaus2 TalkEmount Rookie

May 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Chris
    Beautiful! I love Oregon =)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Beautiful, well done.

That part of the country has some beautiful sights.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Great pics!

Tony

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Woof! You pretty much covered the state there, Jeff. And I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Multnomah Falls in sunshine. ;)

The Vista House shot is classic, and the shot of Hosmer Lake idyllic. And the panos rock! I visited that massive hangar out in Tillamook last spring, and the word then was that the museum was going to be shutting down soon. Have they gotten a reprieve?

7. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Stunning set! Thanks for the share..!

- John

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    really nice!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    NIce job Jeff. It's been too long since I was in the gorge and need to go back soon. :)

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Funny, there was like a solid wall of overcast and fog extending from the coast beyond Portland - Multnomah falls was right on the edge, teetering back and fourth. A few miles farther east and it's blue sky for days.

I'm not sure what's up with the air museum - no rumblings of imminent closure this time. Next time I'm in the area, I should definitely hit the other air museum in McMinville - they have the Spruce Goose and a bunch of other cool stuff.

11. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    great photos, love the sunset and the forest shot...nice depth to them

Dave

• Like Like x 1