Road Trip Across America

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ilovehatephotography, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Hi everyone,

I recently made the move from Boston to LA after I had finished my graduate school. Was thinking about flying + shipping my car, but then I thought, why not make the drive since I had some time on my hands. a road trip would be a rare opportunity to see this country. So 17 states later and 4523 miles later, here I am! Thought I'd share some of the highlights along the way.

This was my original route. I stuck with most of it, got a few detours after I took a wrong turn in the Appalachian mountains during a crazy thunderstorm. Got to see a little of Tennessee as a result :p
    2014-08-30-11-41-33-am.

Philadelphia was lovely, the liberty bell, Independence hall, Rocky Balboa, and cheesesteaks. Put on my Canon FD 20mm f/2.8 SSC and really used it for the majority of my trip. Great little lens.
    bdsc03622.

Drove through Virginia and North Carolina through the famed Blue Ridge Parkway. The boys on Top Gear talked about this place. Almost 500 miles of sweeping 3rd and 4th gear curves, little to no traffic, and no cops. :) Did try to camp here, saw a black bear, got outta there. haha
    bwdsc03676-3.

When in Kentucky, visit the original KFC haha (iphone pic)
    10678525_10154588128940444_6540137792549276919_n.

Unesco site, and largest known cave system in the world, Mammoth Cave National Park offered up a huge challenge when it came to photography. Not only was it bitch black, no monopods were allowed and the guided tours really didn't allow time to stop and take pics. The caves were impressive though!
    bdsc03694.

Got bored of driving the arrow straight roads in Kansas, saw a sign, and turned off to check out the US Calvary Museum. Got to see some cool WWII tanks, a M4 Sherman and a Jackson tank destroyer.
    bdsc037891.

Highlight of my trip was really the states of Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. Drove up, past the "haunted" hotel from The Shining, and onto one of the highest paved roads in the US, the Trail Ridge Road. At about 12000 ft, it literally took my breath away. You reach a point where there's just no more trees. You look outside your window and it's like a 1000ft cliff a few feet from you. Exciting stuff!
    bwdsc03888.

Arches National Park in Utah was mind blowing. I really wish I will come back to this place, maybe camp out within the park. Gorgeous natural rock formations, they filmed parts of Star Wars and Indiana Jones here I believe. The drive from Colorado was something too, for one stretch, you can drive straight, take a 30min nap, and you'll still be driving straight.
    bwdsc03989.

Absolute best part of my trip was definitely Antelope Canyon. This place was like a temple, a sanctuary. It was formed from the yearly monsoons that would wash across this part of the Arizona desert, flooding and carving out these magnificent curves.
    bwdsc04113.

All in all, it took me 12 days. Since I was by myself, I would drive about 5-8 hours each day. I really wished I had more time to explore. Also, I'm not really a landscape photographer so I didn't get up at the golden hour to take shots bathed in soft light. But it was a memorable trip. Met a lot of European tourists along the way, especially towards the west coast. I hope to do this again one day :)

bwdsc04154.

Check out more photos and my in depth stories in this 4-part series.
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/08/31/road-trip-across-america-part-1-the-plan/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/0...rt-2-philadelphia-and-the-blue-ridge-parkway/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/1...-cave-a-m4-sherman-tank-and-the-original-kfc/
    http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/1...oad-arches-national-park-and-antelope-canyon/

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 18
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Vow, what a trip and photos! It is good that you didn't miss this opportunity.

I had 2 temp assignments in Idaho and had a chance to see some of the national parks in the West and miss them while living in the East coast... That was when I was using my first digital P&S and wish that I can go there with my current gear for photo trips...

• Like Like x 2
  3. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    The country just looks so different as you go from east to west. Parts of Utah looks like Mars!

My next cross-country road trip, if I'm lucky enough to do one again, will be the north route. Some amazing driving roads up north too, such as the Going-to-the-sun road in Montana

4. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Great way to turn a very long and exhausting trip into a fun adventure. Excellent photographs too!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Awesome!

Thanks for sharing. I have to make to Antelope Canyon someday.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    People are in such a hurry these days that we don't take the time to enjoy the sights around us. (Me included). The longest drive I have undergone was four days driving my parents moving truck from Arizona to Washington State. I as well wish I had had more time to enjoy.

Well done, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Awesome that must have been an amazing trip

• Like Like x 1
  8. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thanks! It was important to pace myself as I didn't want to drive more than 8 hours a day or at night (deers and elk mating season). I must say I loved Colorado, what a gorgeous gorgeous state. I got the most bug splatters on my windshield just east of Denver. haha

9. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Antelope Canyon is a photographer's dream. I wanted to take a model there to do a photoshoot but Arizona had a massive flood the few days before and the models couldn't make it.

I wrote another article talking about my experience in Antelope Canyon. http://ilovehatephoto.com/2014/09/30/amazing-locations-antelope-canyon/ It is different from what the photos suggest and it's wise to have an accurate expectation before you go there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thanks!

That must've been a really nice drive up north :) Did you go via the coast? (Cali, Oregon, Wash.) or inland?

11. GateCityRadio

GateCityRadio TalkEmount Regular

Oct 9, 2014
    Kev
    Great pictures. The blue ridge pkwy is great, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing colors.

• Like Like x 1
  12. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Beautiful scenes and outstanding shots !
    And as easy as it is to get caught up in life / career / marriage / kids...its possible that it may turn out to be the trip / memory of a lifetime.
    ( a back-up CD in a safe deposit box wouldn't be a bad idea )
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My family moved to the east side of Washington State, the Spokane area, so we were not driving to the coast.

We drove to Salt Lake City as I have family there and we stopped for the day. However, we did this in early winter and there was a massive snowstorm that started as soon as we got there. We had to detour west to the coast in Oregon, up the coast and back across Washington, Added a whole day to our trip.

My brother and I team drove and other than the stay in Salt Lake City we pretty much drove straight through.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Totally, these opportunities don't come around too often! Good idea about the backup CD :)