1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

River in the evening

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Jun 21, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A drive with a camera is always good tonic for an aching soul. I'm quite pleased with these river shots. Vivitar 35-70mm f/2.8-3.8 set at 35MM. I shot these in RAW, too, so I should be able to get rid of the CA in the second pic, but I haven't had time yet.

Once I was done on the river, I drove to the top of a nearby peak to get a few sunset pics. I posted those in a separate thread.

Tony

f/16, 1/60, ISO 200

DSC03753_zpsec764dbe.

f/16, 1/640, ISO200

DSC03758_zps7cfd0f1a.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice work, nice river

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Dave.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Like #2. I'd try some PP on the first one to make it more evocative if it were mine.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    What PP would you suggest, Ad?

Tony

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I think I'd try to lighten up the brown pillars with a local adjustment, adjusting black point and white point for more contrast in general and maybe a little lighter (+ in the exposure). I work with Lightroom so the wording comes from that. Something like that. I'd also try black-and-white for this one just to see if that works.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree, is a great shot let me play a bit with this great sunset .

8. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    ok, use one of my preset to go faster and here they are, used LR5 and love it. kodacrhome230613. kodacrhome230613-2. kodacrhome230613-3. kodacrhome230613-4.

9. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I think I like more the last,more contrast, a little more color to give vividness , improve WB more warmer, a little shade and reducing a little noise. I am fascinated by sunsets, and the second last using Kodachrome 64, (custom).
    Great shot tony, congrats

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Nice edits, Freddy. Thanks.

Thanks for the tips, Ad. I don't have LR, but I'll try to figure it out in GIMP.

Tony

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    OK guys, here is my first attempt at working with a RAW file and tweaking it. I used RawTherapee to tweak the first photo, then exported it to an uncompressed TIFF, and yes, the file was huge. . . 48MB huge. Into what format do you export your RAW files, and do you use a certain compression?

Tony

DSC03753_zps37b5113e.

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That file size is about what I'd expect. You'd get a similar size saving it in PS to a .psd file. If I'm working in PS I save from RAW to .psd and then to jpg for the web or print. No reason I couldn't save to TIFF other than force of habit.

In RAWTherapee I save to TIFF and then to jpg. I'm still looking for a replacement for PS for when the day comes that Apple/Adobe conspire to make my version of PS non-functional but I haven't found it yet.

I haven't done one in awhile, but I think I save TIFF files uncompressed. The decision you have to make is do you want to save the processed file or just the final output jpg? I find that I can never duplicate exactly later what I did with a file today so I save the PSD/TIFF files in case I want to go back (and I frequently do) to tweak them. Better to have a base to play with than start from scratch. I figure HD space is cheap enough that I can afford to do it that way. ;)

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Jim.

Tony