River Dee

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by mstphoto, Dec 5, 2017.

1. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    The River Dee as it makes its way towards the Chest of Dee within the Cairngorm National Park.
    Experimenting with other software packages.
    This was processed in Luminar 2018

a7rii + SZ 24-70

37977216555_dab097ed7f_h. River Dee by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

• Like Like x 8
  2. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Reminds me of the streams I fished when we lived in Central PA. Fly fishing is a lot of fun. Does this river allow fly fishing?

• Like Like x 3
  3. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Not too sure about that but further downriver there are premium fishing beats - at a premium cost per day as well;)
    The river runs past the Royal Family's Scottish retreat at Balmoral.
    Many of the Royal Family have fished here and the late Queen Mother was a regular Fly Fisher.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Another nice photo Mike.
    We can try to catch up later this week and get some slush pics?

5. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks! In PA, once we paid for the license and stamp we were able to fish any stream or river. Sadly, many did not respect the environment and damaged the streams and surrounding banks so I understand why some countries restrict.

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I was looking for this book yesterday, to reply to your post. Only found it this morning. And Mike mstphoto duly replied.

IMG_20171211_112327.
    I'm quoting from this book.

"The Dee is about 90 miles from the sea to its principal sources on Ben Macdhui and Braeriach. The most important part of the Dee for fishing, where the great salmon beats are found, is the lower 60 miles, from Peterculter, close to Aberdeen, up as far as Cambus O'May." But "...upstream of Cambus O'May, you will discover such famous beats as Abergeldie, Balmoral and Invercauld."

"There are 45 recognized salmon beats on the Dee."

Not cheap to fish though....Lollll :biggrin:

I've fly fished a couple of rivers in Scotland but mostly in the Sutherland area.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks for taking time to reply. There was a somewhat famous stream, Spruce Creek, in Central PA. Former President Jimmy Carter fished there several times. He was friends with to owners of Metz Hatchery. Metz feathers are used to tie fly's and very popular. Like single malt, fly fishing is shared in many different countries!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I use Metz hackles too. Excellent quality. And some Keough saddles :)

• Like Like x 1