• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Rig Shot w NEX-7

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
   ---            

Here were my settings for that shot.
NEX-7 w/ SEL1855
18mm (27mm equivalent)
circular polarizer
f/22
3.2 exposure time
ISO 100
timer drive mode (IR remote battery died)

Before shot

NEX-7    E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    18mm    f/22.0    3.2s    ISO 100

Outside shot of set up

Canon EOS REBEL T3i    EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM    10mm    f/3.5    1/60s    ISO 1600

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Did you follow the car with the camera? Always was interested in how to get the car sharp in this case... Just hope on your luck?

ErickSaint

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Erick
Nice work. These type of shots always intrigue me. How is the shutter triggered with these rigs? Guessing via remote, or are they on a intervalometer?

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I edited the first post with a before shot and outside shot.

Here were my settings for that shot.
NEX-7 w/ SEL1855
18mm (27mm equivalent)
circular polarizer
f/22
3.2 exposure time
ISO 100
timer drive mode (IR remote battery died)

I was using the NEX-7 because I got to my shoot location and forgot a CF card for my 5D. So I made the most of the light by shooting with the NEX7 until I had a CF card brought out to me. :)

Here's a shot with the 5D MKII and 16-35mm f/2.8

---            

ErickSaint

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Erick
I saw the first post that was linked here with the rig pics. That's a cool setup. I know a few guys that would love pics like this done for their rides. Great work in post too, would never know the rig was there without seeing the before and after shots.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
So I made the most of the light by shooting with the NEX7...
Just an idea Jimmy, why not do it without any light (at night time I mean)? :)

Here's a shot I took at my local CBD... I suppose it's a rig shot too, but my rig was a tripod strapped onto the back seat and the shot is of the interior.

NEX-5N    ---    0mm    f/1.0    4s    ISO 400

(f11, 4.0sec, ISO400)

I can imagine that a shiny black car might even reflect the streaky lights too. I'd like to try this myself but I haven't got a rig like yours. An attachment that protrudes beyond the car body is also illegal over here, so I'll probably get a ticket if I tried to do it on the CBD where the lights are...

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
Lights are all around us ;) I wanted to maximize the magic hour since we were shooting out on the country side with no street lamps. I have done a few rig shoots at night. I couldn't get away with using the rig on a busy street but theres a lot to be said and unseen when things get blurry.

The distance traveled for these rig shots are only a few yards, no more than five yards. The first pic below was an 8 sec exposure and the travel was about two yards as it can be seen by the background.

ErickSaint, my rig set up cost me roughly $1100 USD. That's including my employee discount through Manfrotto for their components. Here's the DIY rig thread on photographyonthe.net Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Here are a few rig shoots at night. I love parking garages :)

---            

---            

---            

---            

---            

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
I also did a rig shoot with a 2012 Subaru WRX last week where I used a LED flash light to paint the car. I haven't started the post editing on it yet. But that I used the 5D MKIII on that shoot.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Lights are all around us ;) I wanted to maximize the magic hour since we were shooting out on the country side with no street lamps. I have done a few rig shoots at night. I couldn't get away with using the rig on a busy street but theres a lot to be said and unseen when things get blurry...
Really cool night shots all of them!

... but this one's got me stumped?!?? He's not actually drifting is he? :confused:

---            

Is he really or did you superimpose a parked shot and radial blurred the wheels in photoshop?? :eek:

Either way, that's great work...

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think he said he's using really long exposure times, and the car is moving only a few feet. Even just a partial revolution of the tire would be enough to cause the motion blur over a long exposure.

I like em. Wouldn't mind trying to do that with my daughter's 2000 GT LTD, but I don't have the skills (Nor probably the $/tools/time) to make the rig.

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
Really cool night shots all of them!

... but this one's got me stumped?!?? He's not actually drifting is he? :confused:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/driftguy/Rig Shots/AustinRigShot-2_zps3d7d263d.jpg

Is he really or did you superimpose a parked shot and radial blurred the wheels in photoshop?? :eek:

Either way, that's great work...
Yeah, this shot was done the same way as the others. With the wheel turned, the distance travel from a radial point is greater than that of a straight line. So the lights get exaggerated with streaks to create this effect. The Honda Fit traveled no more than 5 yards to achieve this. I just need to be careful of not making it look like he's running into the way.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, this shot was done the same way as the others. With the wheel turned, the distance travel from a radial point is greater than that of a straight line. So the lights get exaggerated with streaks to create this effect. The Honda Fit traveled no more than 5 yards to achieve this. I just need to be careful of not making it look like he's running into the way.
Ahh ok I see it now, the car is in fact turning to the right. For some reason I thought it was turning (drifting) to the left, with the front wheels on opposite lock. :)

jton

TalkEmount Rookie
Ahh ok I see it now, the car is in fact turning to the right. For some reason I thought it was turning (drifting) to the left, with the front wheels on opposite lock. :)
Yeah, drift shots are more difficult. They cause a lot of vibration to the rig and put the camera and rig at risk. But there are risk takers out there that will do whatever it takes to get the shot. I'll hold off on that for now :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom