1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Review of Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G OSS

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Armanius, Mar 27, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC

Are you buying one? It might be interesting to test the lens af w/ A6000 also...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    For $1500 ... probably not. I'll probably rent it. I'll probably also rent the Tamron 70-200/2.8, and see how well that performs. Although it has no OIS.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    They seem to quite like it, although the AF looks to be just as bad as with other E-Mount lens / body combinations.

Not a lens for me, though. Too heavy. When Sony makes an APS-C version which weighs around 500 grams, I'll consider to buy that.

4. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Unfortunately, Google translator didn't do a very good job, and I couldn't understand most of it.

So AF is bad too? That's a bummer. Gotta wonder if Sony will ever release firmwares like Fuji to improve AF performance. I don't recall that ever happening with the NEX cameras. Bummer.

5. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, I speak german native, so I don't have a problam with that. ;) But like Armanius states, it well might be the camera - Sony E-Mount cameras never were the fastest for AF (not including the A6000, didn't try that one yet).

As for firmware updates - Sony released five big firmware updates for the original NEX-3 and NEX-5 and dramatically improved firmware operation and added features like focus peaking with those. The NEX-7 got some drastic FW updates too, so I wouldn't generally say that Sony is lame with firmware updates.

7. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I can't wait for mine to arrive. I ordered one from my local brick and mortar shop. I'll be getting their first copy.

I switched from Canon (I'm a full time pro). I had been with Canon for 23 years (since I was in HS), but once full-frame mirror less dropped, I went all in. AF isn't perfect, but it's good enough. Talk to me at the end of a 10 hour day when I DIDN'T have two 1D Mark IVs with heavy Canon glass strapped to my shoulders. I'll work around the focus issues happily.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Quite the leap Vincepad, glad to hear mirrorless is working for you. It seems many of us first switched to E mount cameras because of weight. Most of us stayed with E mount because of the image quality. At least I did, I shouldn't presume to speak for everyone else. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Oh yeah! I remember those upgrades now! Especially the interface changes. Sorry Sony! My apologies!

10. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    It looks like it will be good lens but the size of it, when seen on the A7 body, tells me it is not for me. However I hope people who do get it really enjoy it.

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 5