1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rescue Dogs

Discussion in 'Nature' started by SpaceManSpiff, Nov 30, 2014.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    A local shelter was desperate for some rapid-fire portraits of rescued dogs that need to be adopted out. There were 4 photographers and around 60 dogs. It was slightly hairball as the dogs were freaked out with all the commotion and the action was pretty fast-paced. A number of them were really nice pooches, but luckily, I already have one myself :roll eyes:.

I used the NEX-6 and SEL50F18 for these shots.

Willy
    DSC00065-Willy_Small-L.

Peaches
    DSC00069_Peaches_Small-L.

...and her sister Cream
    DSC00074_Cream_Small-L.

another curious Chihuahua
    DSC00048-9-L.

A lab/Pit Bull mix
    Unfortunately did not get his feet in the shot during the heat of battle, but I did manage to get a Canon camera bag though :rolleyes:
    DSC00012-5-L.

I hope these fur balls find a new home.

Thanks for looking,
    Eric

• Like Like x 10
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Cute dogs. Like Willy, very strong stance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Well done, Eric.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  4. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Willy was my favorite. He seemed a little aloof. Later, I found out that he had just lost his brother as result of a rattlesnake bite.

Thanks Tony and Dave, it was a fun challenge!

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice work for a good cause :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks Nick! On the way back from the shoot, I was chatting with one of the other photogs (apparently an accomplished amateur wildlife photographer) --and we both felt that it was good to be putting our skills toward some kind of purpose. The owner of the shelter was in tears when we left because it was a huge deal to her. :groups_cuddle: I would do it again, for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    FWIW, my daughter and one of my colleagues each adopted a rescue dog this year - in different states.

In each case the result was the same - a wonderful family pet.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 1
  8. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Lovely pictures, well done. We have a rescue dog too and he's just a darling :) Truly hope your photos bring in lots of potential adopters.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Good on you, Eric! My wife volunteers at our local shelter, and all of our dogs have been shelter rescues. It's a constant struggle to convince people to adopt a shelter dog rather than getting a "breed" from a puppy mill. Here's hoping those mutts get a good home soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks Tom and Christilou! Rescue dogs are special --they 'know' they have been rescued. The lady who organized the event is a powerhouse of dog rescue and I am hoping that our efforts will generate some interest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks David! All of our dogs have been rescued straight off the streets. I don't understand what the big deal is with dogs with 'papers'. I get people asking me what 'breed' my dog is all the time --since I grabbed her out of an irrigation ditch 100 feet north of the Mexican border I like to say that she is a 'Desert Border Terrier' :tiphat:

• Like Like x 5
  12. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Nice pictures. I like the forced vignetting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks OldNoob! I used a vignette and/or radial filter in LR in an attempt to keep the interest on the dog (rather than the handler or the colorful fence in the background).

14. Wayneb

Wayneb New to TalkEmount

Nov 27, 2014
    So. California
    Wayne
    I love dogs and all my dogs are strays or rescues, we took in a stray pregnant female this year and she had 13 puppies. We found good homes for all the puppies but the mom died of pyometra, we took her to the vet when she started acting sick and they did emergency surgery but she never recovered. There are a lot of strays around here, far too many people are dumping dogs, it is such a shame that some people just don't appreciate how much dogs do for us.

• Like Like x 3