Replacements for certain Sony SD cards

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
"Regarding SD memory cards of SF-M series, SF-M series TOUGH specification, and SF-G series TOUGH specification, recorded data on the card may be damaged or data may not be recorded correctly when shooting video on a camera* in video speed class mode."

More info at the link.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...l3KIHd-zC4adr28z1hmj-CmRUC6Vvl4nE3T4BAP8q0iDI
Do the Sony Tough series cards have lifetime warranties? I posted a thread about SD cards awhile go. I ended up going with middle ground Transcend SD cards due to price and still having decent performance with both their UHS-II and UHS-I class cards. No problems so far.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Saw this info earlier, pulled out my four Sony Tough cards, took a look, and all of them are eligible for the recall/replacement. However, I don't shoot video, am not interested in shooting video and have had absolutely no problem with my cards in my A7R IV to date, so am not going to fuss with trying to file for replacement cards.....

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do the Sony Tough series cards have lifetime warranties? I posted a thread about SD cards awhile go. I ended up going with middle ground Transcend SD cards due to price and still having decent performance with both their UHS-II and UHS-I class cards. No problems so far.
I do not actually know. I use Sandisk Extreme cards personally. I just saw the recall noted elsewhere and thought I should pass it along.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Standard USH1 SD cards carry a 1 year warranty, but the UHS-II and XQD cards carry a 5 year warranty, according to this:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/S1F1585

I have 3 sets of the Sony M cards, each with a 128GB for raw and 64GB for jpeg. My 2 standard M card sets were bought last year and are OK, but my newest Tough M set bought in the last 3 months were recalled. Sony provides shipping both ways (Fedex ground- 6 day from So Cal to IN) and told me that it might take a while to get replaced. Even though I had to send in a email with proof of purchase and front and back photos showing the serial numbers, they would not ship out replacements until they received them, which is poor service IMHO. Sony should have they shipped replacements once I shipped mine to them.

And to @Clix Pix, I would most certainly replace the cards, as while the stated problem might be limited to video writing to the card, I could see this also meaning that high FPS shooting could lead to the same problem. With the limited shooting going on right now, and since they pay for shiping both ways, it's a no brainer to get a new, non-defective card for free.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Thanks, Jim! (SpecFoto)! Actually, I was thinking much the same thing the other day.....just haven't taken the action yet. I was out shooting and had the camera in continuous high, and later when I was reviewing my images, thought, "huh, I could've sworn I shot more images than this!" I couldn't remember any specific instance of an image I wasn't seeing in the files but the overall number of images was fewer than I recall having shot. So I suspect you are quite right in surmising that high FPS shooting could also present the same issues.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Just an update on the Sony replacement, it took 2-1/2 weeks. Sony turned the cards around in 3 days and paid for FedEx ground shipping to them and FedEx 2 day on the return. Unfortunately FedEx has for the 4th time in a row delayed a 2 day expedited shipment, they will be delivered (hopefully) today, 2 days late.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom