• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Renting Medium Format

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I want a high image quality backup camera at my wedding. We hired a photographer (bc i was told I shouldn't be worrying about it) but we all know that won't happen. Im considering a Hasselblad or Fuji GFX... Does anyone have any experience or thoughts, I realize this is a Sony board but I'm guessing someone else may have dabbled. I've been watching all the reviews for both systems.. Renting one vs the other is pretty comparable in price. I'm currently leaning towards the hasselblad X1D ii 50C it seems more user friendly from what I've seen in video reviews

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I would not choose a new type of camera for any wedding photography. Any new camera system requires a fairly steep learning curve.

If you desire a full-frame back-up camera, consider renting an A7iii. The learning curve with that camera would be considerably less steep for a person who has been using an A7ii.

OTOH... having multiple uncoordinated photographers at any wedding is pretty unproductive...

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
@AlwaysOnAuto I'm thinking I should have refrained from mentioning the setting.:sorry: The rental is also part of a gift from a family member that understands my photography passion.

@Richard Crowe Noted on the new system and learning curve. I do plan to have some time with whatever I pick before the crucial moments.. Thank goodness for video tutorials.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Congratulations! I concur, if you are hiring a photographer, let them worry about gear. And you focus on experiencing your wedding day.
If the shooter is using your existing camera bodies, then I'd stick with a familiar system. Maybe rent an A7RIII for the advanced AF, and resolution. The Z battery should last all day too.
Any existing FE mount lenses can be exchanged between the bodies.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Is this going to be a 'formal' wedding? I only ask as I kind of 'eloped' in Reno some 40 odd years ago so it wasn't the type of wedding where a lot of pictures were taken.
I don't think you'll have time to be taking pictures, but could be wrong. I'd expect YOU to be the subject of at least some of the pictures being taken.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Congrats, I hope you have a good time.
The last couple 3-4 weddings I've been to for nieces and nephews were in the $30-50k range. I could have come up with a lot of different things to spend that kind of money on if it were me paying for it.
If you can set up the shots with the rental camera AND be in the picture too, more power to you and go for it!

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Congratulations! But, this is the day you take off from being a photographer IMHO. Use the gift to buy a bigger album, perhaps a better package from the photographer, or whatever. Photograph your honeymoon or whatever you have planned, but focus on your new wife on your wedding day.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

Latest threads

Top Bottom