Remote control for A7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izTheViz, Jan 14, 2014.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Yannis Marigo
    To all lucky A7 owners (I'll be one too in just a few days)

As far as I understood, built-in wifi capacity allows one to control remotely the camera using a Sony iOS/Android application.
    Has anybody tried this out ? Is it reliable or should I better go for a traditional remote control (if any) ?

Thank you.
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm not sure about reliability, but setting up is already so involved that I don't like to use it although once set up it works alright. The delay between "pressing the button" on the phone (iPhone for me) is noticeable. I always have a cheap infrared remote control in my bag, works well enough if at the beginning of the shoot/hike/whatever I move the battery in it a little bit to restore contact. I also have the original Sony RMT-DSLR2 (or something like that, off the top of my head) and that works well too.
  3. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Yeah, the interface with my iPhone is tediously long and complicated. And the user manual isn't very helpful either. The only advantage over a traditional remote is the ability to see yourself on the iPhone. Panasonic wifi control is MUCH better.
    • Like Like x 1