1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Remote Control för NEX-7?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Michael Johansson, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    I have just noticed that there seem to be no threaded remote control to be used with the NEX-7. Is that really the case or am I (hopefully) missing something somewhere?

I can use the RMT-DSLR1 that was submitted with the A900 but that looks to be usable only from the front of the camera. It is also difficult (read impossible) to use it with mechanical triggers like a micro circuit breaker or timer setting. Is there any third party devices that can be used? Can the HDMI or USB connectors be used?

How is it that the wireless remote can only be used from the front of the camera. I find that a major drawback and I am rather mad at myself that I have missed this info before I bought the camera.

2. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    Sorry! I just found out the wireless remote can be used from the rear too. At least something positiv. (I don´t know why it didn´t work first time I tryed.)

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    but not from any great distance as it is infra red, you still have to be right next to the camera,in fact if I remember rightly,you need to be right at the side of it as infra red works with line of sight

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I had the same problem with my NEX-6: it took a number of attempts before it reacted to the remote (a Chinese knock-off). Later I bought the Sony RMT-DSLR2 which worked immediately.

The infrared receiver for the remote is at the front of the camera, a small window on the grip below the release button. You can fire the remote commander from behind the camera if there is enough reflective surface in front of it to reflect the light to the receiver window, otherwise you have to keep the commander such that there is a line of sight between commander and receiver.