Remote control App

Raz

TalkEmount Regular
I tried the remote control app with my 6500, to take photos of bird.

Although I love the "live view" on my smartphone, there is a considerable lag time (over 1 second) between pressing the "shutter release" button on the phone and the time the photo is taken.

I tried several settings, in particular manual focus so that the camera wouldn't waste time focusing, to no avail.

Is this a "normal" feature of the app, or is there a setting wrong?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Since the ap is talking to the camera via WiFi (an assumption on my part here, I don't know for sure), I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time. I know when I use my IR remote on my A7iii it happens faster than I can blink, but, that's IR not WiFi.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It is WiFi but I believe it uses local wifi, i.e. the camera becomes a hot spot you connect to. So the signal goes directly between camera and smartphone.

Perhaps obvious, but could you by chance have it on the delayed release drive mode? The default is two seconds, mentioning it just in case you didn't think to check that.

I haven't used the app since it was updated a while back, may have to try it later to see.

Raz

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I confirm that no delayed release is enabled. As I am re-resting, there is a clear half-second delay with the phone about a foot over the camera.
In the end, I used the cable release, which worked fine. I wish the cable were longer, though, because I had to stay close to the camera, which had a clear effect on the feeding birds.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This cable release, does it plug into the camera?
Sorry, I'm old school and the only cable releases I'm familiar with are the old mechanical ones that would screw into the shutter release button of the camera.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
So is this a 'free' ap?
Sorry, I'm really cheap or rather, thrifty.:rolleyes:
Yes, the Sony smartphone app is free. Look for "Imaging Edge Mobile" for Android, or I imagine a very similar if not identical name for iOS.

This cable release, does it plug into the camera?
Sorry, I'm old school and the only cable releases I'm familiar with are the old mechanical ones that would screw into the shutter release button of the camera.
Most of the cable releases out there are similar to the old school ones, except instead of the non-existent screw-in terminal they utilize the "Multi-interface" port. Like the A7Riii I have, yours is on the side of the camera, right below the USB port. (I checked the user manuals.)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Ah, so it's behind one of those doors on the side of the camera I never venture over to. Think I'll stay with my IR remote. No fragile doors to fiddle with when I use it.
I might have to look into that ap too, thanks for the info Bob.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I just tried the app, and there is a slight delay with the shutter. I am fairly certain it is less than a second, but it is there. This was with the phone about a foot from the camera.

I was also quite disappointed to learn that for post-ii gen cameras, touch-to-focus on the smartphone is not supported. Seriously, Sony? 🤨 Someone on dpreview talked to some developers to see if 3rd-party apps could enable it, but the devs said there was no support in the APIs. The camera does remain controllable while under smartphone control, so you can touch the screen on the back of the phone to focus (confirmed this myself). Still, pretty lame when the older cameras have the capability and the newer ones do not. I guess you would have to enable continous focus mode if you want autofocus - which doesn't seem to work if you are set up with back button focus.

Sony gets a lot of things right, but seems to have some pretty large blind spots for sure.

Raz

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, so it's behind one of those doors on the side of the camera I never venture over to. Think I'll stay with my IR remote. No fragile doors to fiddle with when I use it.
I might have to look into that ap too, thanks for the info Bob.
Yes. I use a Vello Shutterbox II, which was on sale at B&H when I bought it. It has plenty of functions, which I have not explored yet. There are other, cheaper, models, which may be enough.

It really works fine, and fires the shutter instantly. Again, the only drawback is the short cable.
If I understand correctly, your IR remote cannot be operated from behind the camera, correct?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've actually used it to shoot my wife's quilts and it has worked from behind the camera. I think it depends on if there's a reflective surface for it to bounce off of. Shooting the quilts there isn't really a surface I can identify as reflective though, unless the ceiling or walls count. I don't think the quilts reflect anything since they're cloth.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Walls and ceilings would reflect the signal, so that may explain it AlwaysOnAuto.

I was not familiar with the Shutterbox. Looks pretty decent.

Do most of you use card readers to transfer photos? I've always used the USB port myself, as it seems fast enough. But then I don't usually have more than a few dozen photos to transfer at a time.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Here is a good test I just ran.
This is a picture of my setup for the macro thread I just posted.
I turned the A7ii on and shot the pic with my A7iii using the remote to set it off.
Not pointed at either camera really, but they both fired.
DSC02298 (Large).JPG
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Think I'll stay with my IR remote. No fragile doors to fiddle with when I use it.
And no cables to worry about. I've not really much needed remote, but I've played with it, both Sony app and other. However, the only time I did need vibration-free on a shaky tripod setup, I was glad that my phone has an IR blaster, and that the free app I used just works.

Do all the Sony Alpha cameras have an IR sensor? Latest generation a6nnn? A7, etc? I suppose the Sony-branded remote widgets use IR?

Latest posts

Top Bottom