Relatively inexpensive zoom lens for sony a6000 (with LA-EA2 adapter)?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ytthirteenhundred, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I have a Sony a6000 with an LA-EA2 adapter and Sony 75-300mm lens, and I would like to get a more powerful lens, but I don't have thousands of dollars to poor into a new lens. Any suggestions on a lens that won't bankrupt me (I'm assuming its probably not going to be an actual Sony lens). I've tried a 1.4x adapter and wasn't happy with it. How do you all feel about opteka lenses like this?
    My assumption is that they are cheap because the quality is terrible. Is that a fair assessment?
  2. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    I thought 300mm is adequate for an enthusiasts' requirement. The one you've linked is a prime lens, looks way too big, defeating the focus on "compactness" of NEX bodies, IMO. My answer is in 3 parts:
    1. 500mm Prime: Your assessment is not fully correct. I found sort of review for this lens here You may also find some more info here at You'll need a Tripod, of course. It seems there are many more choices than this alone. One from Vivitar is Also, there's one Phoenix 500mm f/8 !
    2. 500mm Mirror Lens: Then, there's a smallish Opteka 500mm mirror lens for $140. You may get some good to very pictures. Here's a review:
    3. Compact Travel Zooms: For $150, you might get a 18X to 24X travel zoom camera (with 1/2.3" sensor). These ARE very compact and can sit neatly in your existing camera bag. The 35mm equal focal length could be around 400 mm or more. They won't need a Tripod and their IQ may be comparable with the above lenses on APS-C (if you factor in croping the Pics from APS-C). Some of the models may be old / discontinued. Heck with that, my 10 year old Sony P&S still works.
    Choices choices choices. I love them.
  3. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a while looking at reviews for those lenses and they seem to be pretty mixed. Some people are singing their praises, while others are saying that the quality just isn't good. I'm a hobbyist not a pro, but I'm still rather picky about my pictures. One person said that they did some side by side shots with the Opteka 500mm mirror lens and a Sony 300mm, and what they found was that the megapixel count was so high on their camera that they could crop in really far on pictures from the 300, and once cropped, the pictures from the 300 were much better than the ones form the 500. That's the same thing that I found to be true with my 1.4x adapter. At first it seemed great, but when I did some side by side shots, I actually got better pictures by cropping the photos that were taken without the adapter. Any thoughts on whether or not that is going to be the norm with these inexpensive lenses?

Also, any opinions about Sigma and Tamron lenses in the 500-600mm range? For example:
    $1,000 is kind of the peak of my price range (I'm going to have to save for a while to get one that's that expensive), but its worth it for me if there is going to be a really significant improvement in image quality over something like an Opteka lens. The ability to autofocus is also nice, but not necessarily a must.
    Thanks again!
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I don't know if Sigma 150-600mm is out for Sony, but there are Sigma 50-500mm/150-500mm. I think Tamron 150-600 might be a good choice from a few reviews that I read. However they don't put the VC (vibr ctrl) for Sony, since A dslr cameras have already have it on the sensor. Michael Reichman at Luminous Landcapes used it w/ A7 II for its Antarctica trip: