• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Rediscovering ND filters

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Selling my old A7RII meant I also lost Sony's Smooth Reflection app. So I had to go back to using ND filters if I wanted a long exposure.

Ashland Creek-1.jpg
ILCE-7RM4    FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS    27mm    f/8.0    3.2s    ISO 50
Ashland Creek-2.jpg
ILCE-7RM4    14-24mm F2.8 DG DN | Art 019    16mm    f/8.0    3.2s    ISO 50

It seemed to go fine. Like riding a bicycle. And I guess I'll be racking up a lot fewer shutter activations from now on.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It's really a shame they did away with the apps. I only had a few but they were very useful at times, and I think if it had been opened up more it could have added so much.

Oh well.

Selling my old A7RII meant I also lost Sony's Smooth Reflection app. So I had to go back to using ND filters if I wanted a long exposure.

It seemed to go fine. Like riding a bicycle. And I guess I'll be racking up a lot fewer shutter activations from now on.
I hear you. I habitually carry 3 screw-in ND filters (3 stops, 6 stops, 10 stops) for my Loxias.

I've never owned an ND filter. Does anyone use them for stuff other than water? ISTR hearing that you can eliminate moving people from a photo with them.
I use them in bright sunlight when I want to see movement in people and/or when I want to use large apertures, sometimes also in combination with motion blur. Here's an example where I used 1/30 s at f/8 in glaring sunlight; I used a 3-stops ND filter, otherwise I would have had to use at least 1/250 s at f/8.

S01-20200712-073.jpg
ILCE-7RM4    E 35mm F2    35mm    f/8.0    1/30s    ISO 100

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I've never owned an ND filter.
Here’s a tip I wish I had known before I started buying ND filters: Buy one high-quality filter that fits the lens you own (or expect to own) with the largest diameter of all of your lenses. Then just buy step-up rings to use it with all of your other lenses.

Of course, that trick is of no use with my Sigma 14-24mm because of its bulbous front element. For it I had to spring for this nifty set of rear-mount ND filters:

FDF591A0-5415-410D-80C2-F30BE480B553.jpeg
   ---            

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I used several of the apps, and was disappointed when they dropped support. Could have been the foundation for something great. Apps are more important on phones than talking now.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I've never owned an ND filter. Does anyone use them for stuff other than water? ISTR hearing that you can eliminate moving people from a photo with them.
Many times when using flash I use a ND filter to allow me to use my portrait lenses wide open, which range from f1.2 to f1.8, and knock down the ambient to get to my flash sync speed. This may be as much as 7 stops in bright sun with a f1.2 or 1.4 lens.

And yes you can put strong ND filter aim at a crowded square, take a long exposure on a tripod and moving people will vanish. But not the ones standing still.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom