1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Red Shouldered Hawk stops by for lunch at Roundball's Fast Food Fly-Thru

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Feb 3, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I’m thinking this Red Shouldered Hawk is getting very relaxed around my place.
    Just as I stepped into the kitchen to get another cup of coffee…wham!...a small bird flew into the window right in front of me trying to get away from a Hawk attack. I looked out / down from the window sill as best I could and saw the Hawk chasing around the foundation shrubs after the stunned bird then lost sight of them.

Glanced out 15-20 minutes later and the Hawk was perched right outside the window on a post for the steps coming off the deck. So close he barely fit into the 300mm field of view but knew he’d be gone if I took time to change lenses…shot him hand held through 3 panes of glass…(double pane insulated kitchen window, plus the outside storm window)…but managed to get a respectable keeper.

Canon FDn 300/4.0-L on NEX-7

• Like Like x 11
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Keeper for sure!

In my eyes, the multiple layers of glass (not in your lens!) doesn't seem to be a problem!

Hope it doesn't discourage much your other, non-carnivorous, customers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    He's been hanging round since last fall and the regular birds continue to come every day, in spite of him...here's a Brown Thrasher he had the audacity to eat right outside the kitchen window when I happened to be at home:

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful capture! So sharp!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Great shots! I'm a little biased though. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Your last few shots have been simply stunning. I'm envious. I usually do well to snag a few doves or a jay.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, remember the old saying: 'Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then'
    :)

• Like Like x 1