Red Shouldered Hawk meets Canon 300/4.0 on an NEX-7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Oct 20, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Had a rare wildlife photography opportunity present itself today...like a once in 5-10 years kind of thing.

Canon FDn 300/4.0, Sony NEX-7, ISO100, Daylight WB, AP mode, F4.0, shutters down in the 1/15, 1/13 range

RED SHOULDERED HAWK IN A SIDE VIEW HEAD PORTRAIT

FULL VIEW POSE

PINPOINTED THE SHUTTER

LOOKING FOR LUNCH

SCRATCHING AN ITCH

STRETCHING OUT A LEG

• Like Like x 9
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    really like the first one, what a beautiful looking bird :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great looking bird and some great shots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow! Great shots and Great Bird!
    What I wouldn't give for the opportunity to take some shots like that of "one of my kin." :)

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks all...I was very pleased with the way they turned out, to say nothing of the rare opportunity itself.

I have the backyard set up like an Aviary Photo Studio...fill the feeders every morning and any day I know I'm going to be around the house, I open the kitchen window, set a camera on the counter top and go about my day.
    Getting a coffee refill, I noticed the normal constant display of birds coming and going had stopped...back yard was dead quiet...started looking around and saw this hawk had landed on a limb not 40 feet out from the open window.

Everything was ready, had fairly decent early morning light, a new sandbag to try out was already on the window sill, so I eased over and started shooting...assuming it would leave at any second and that I'd probably never have such a gift of an opportunity again, I spared nothing...took over 100, culled out the best 25.

Reminds me of the old saying: "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then"