1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Red Letter Day!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Vincepad, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I am fortunate enough to make my living at photography, and I never lose sight of how lucky I am to do so. If it ever becomes a "job," I think I'll look for something else to do.

That said, there are days that are better than others. Today is one of those days.

First, I delivered some, um, deliverables and got paid on the spot. That's always a good start to a day.

Then I took some photos to a model from a test shoot we did. Short background: I was commissioned to create an art piece to accompany a musical being performed next year by the Musical Theater of Madison. A friend's daughter would be perfect for what I have in mind, so even though I regularly work with professional and more experienced models, I want to use my friend's daughter. We did a test shoot on Friday, and I delivered a portrait and a piece that I created for my current series. Mom's text after she saw the photos a few hours after I delivered them: "VINCE! OMG OMG those photos are extraordinary and I am in tears. Thank you so much. you have no idea how much this means to me. To see my daughter so beautiful and magical. And for her to have this opportunity knowing how much she has gone through. Thank you with all of my heart. :)"

Finally, I just got home and was looking through the mail that Mrs.Pad brought in, and in it was a shipment of CDs from the record company who used a bunch of my photography (12 different photos) for the CD cover and insert for a new album. I've been lucky enough to have my photos used for commercial products before, but this was something really neat. It's an honor to me to have another artist choose my art to use on their art. Very humbling and exciting. I was surprised by my reaction.

I hope this doesn't come across as bragging. I'm simply amazed that I get to do this for a living, and it's a real privilege to have others value the things that I create. Thanks for hearing me out.

• Like Like x 9
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That is just fantastic! Congratulations! To be able to enjoy one's work, and have it acknowledged and appreciated by others, well, what could be better than that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    It is an absolute privilege that I refuse to ever lose sight of.

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Share some pictures! We wanna see! ;):bravo-009:

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a busy day.

Celebrate for a while.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Kudos!

Hope you have many more redletter days!

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    +1 Glad to hear your doing well. Even if I thought I was skilful enough to do my hobby as a professional I am unfortunately married to the family business heh

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Congratulations, I hope you have many more red-letter days.

Photographer/Drug dealer? :p

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats from me too!