1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

recording legacy lens info

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bimjo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, anybody that uses a legacy lens with no electrical contacts with the camera (whichever combo that may be) has wrestled with how to record which shots were taken with which lens and at what lens settings.

I tried writing it down in a small notebook. Worked, but clumsy. And there's that whole shooting at night thing to contend with.

Then I decided that since a always have my phone with me when I'm away from home I'd use that. So, the search began for a simple note taking app that would do what I wanted. Since I use an iPhone I headed to the App Store and found something that seems like it will work just fine.

Check out the app called MyScript Memo. The app is free. It will export your scribbles to text (if you buy the $2.99 upgrade) if you so desire. I think I'll pass on the upgrade for now.

So, first shot is me using my rather imprecise (though inexpensive and un-loosable) finger as a stylus to record the lens/aperture used for the shot:
    [​IMG]

Followed by using my iPad stylus for a very slightly less imprecise scribble:
    [​IMG]

Since I tend to lose things like pens when I'm out-and-about (I lay them down & can't find them. It's why I always put lens caps in my right front pocket.) I think my finger will work just fine.

So, the workflow is- 1) write a memo with lens/aperture settings, 2) snap a quick pic of the screen, 3) take the shots. If you change the settings, change the memo and take another shot of the phone screen. The only drawback will be bright sunlight. I just d/l'd the app last night so I'm still working on that part. Going to work great at night though. You can erase the whole screen, or just a portion of it, so if you change the aperture just erase that info instead of the whole screen.

I'm sure there's something similar for the Android phone folks out there for a similar price. I think this is going ot work for me, YMMV. :cool:

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Ah.....
    Just like the days of shooting film...:cool:

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, film was easy for a long time. Only had one lens & shot @ f/8 most of the time. Then I learned stuff & life got complicated. ;)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1 Lol :)

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    nice idea

I have seen people use a voice recording app.

A nice idea, but I simply don't care enough to record the settings.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It's a good idea though... when I'm testing a lens it can come in handy. Writing the fstops with marker pen on some small pocket sized plastic tags might also work, same concept but quicker (although it's one more thing to carry).

Pushing the concept a bit further, what about taking a photo of your hand with each finger as a designated fstop? Say, thumb is wide open, pinky finger is f22... index finger f5.6, ring finger f11... middle finger could be f8 but it just occurred to me that taking a photo of that could also be misconstrued as a rude gesture! :eek:

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    lol, now that's funny! :D

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    that's a good idea, I just use my iphone and put it in'' notes''

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I tried that, but I had to type it, so this works better (faster) for me.