1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Recommended Shooting Locations Around Milwaukee/Chicago

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by José De Bardi, Oct 15, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hey Guys,

I'm working in the aforementioned area the first week of Nov. I am hiring a car for the week so can get around. Any recommended must visit locations, ideally photogenic!

Thanks in advance!

José

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    For what kind of photography

3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Any and everything! I'm not fussy! Just somewhere interesting.

4. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    Downtown Chicago can be very good if you like street photography. make sure you bring some warm clothing Chicago can be quite cold that kind of year. Just stay away from Southwest Chicago, it can be a very rough and dangerous area. Also anywhere near the lake can give you some great shots. Northern Illinois is not a great place to shoot much nature photos. Southern Wisconsin can have some great locations for nature. If you are driving from Chicago to Milwaukee there are some nice places but I do not know that area to recommend anywhere special.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  6. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    talk to Luke on Photographers' Lounge for Milwaukee tips

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks guys!

8. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    The Milwaukee Art Museum is always a good bet. It's pretty unique.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This place really does look special.

• Like Like x 1
  10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    OK, so I'm here...

Chicago was a write off, primarily due to a 32 hour stint of being awake, which can be attributed to a combination of a transatlantic flight and my massively inconsiderate friends I was meeting in Chicago who thought the first thing I would want to do (within minutes of arrival from the airport on Friday afternoon) is a 12 hour drinking session. Needless to say, Saturday hurt - A LOT!

So made it up to Milwaukee last night, and rather handily had a slow day of work, and having not yet touched my camera bag, rushed down to the lake, the light was fading fast, so I basically drove down the road until I saw a parking lot, got out, took a pic!
    15141211654_51915d5c18_k.
    Downtown Milwaukee
    by josedebardi, on Flickr

Pretty pleased with it for a rush job, will work on more during the rest of the week. It's looking like I'm gonna have the end of the week free, and at worst all day Saturday so will for sure get over to the museum you suggested :)

• Like Like x 7
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Inconsiderate? You're blessed to have friends like that! :drinks:

• Like Like x 3
  12. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Don't worry, I afford them the same treatment whenever they come to my side of the pond :)

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ooooh! Can I come too?! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Next instalment...

I took an unplanned trip to Madison as work was going so well (my client's HQ is there so I invited myself over to check their place out as we had run out of work to do - hard life ;) ).
    Hooked up with local forum member Vincepad, I can confirm he is not a crazy online axe murderer, and in fact a great guy - we had a good chat over a coffee and he gave me some good pointers for shooting spots in the next couple of days - so thanks Vince! (He also got a shot of us together, which is pretty funny - so look out for that!).

Ending our coffee I had just enough time to get a shoot in before dark, so I just drove at the nearest lake (Mendota) and hit Frautschi Point - this turned out to be some seriously creepy woods, and I can tell you wandering round for 45-50 mins in the freezing cold, dwindling twilight with only the sounds of the squirrels and door mice to keep you company was an erie experience!
    As soon as I stepped into the woods I knew the money shot was going to be if we got another flurry of heavy snow which had been happening on and off all day, the huge flakes with the woodland snow-covered autumn detritus for a backdrop would have been awesome, but alas no, Mother Nature was not going to play ball - and 45 mins into my walk, my hands were freezing (despite gloves!), so I made my way back to the car.

Here's what I did get, hopefully I captured the mood of the place!

Down by the lake, the water was lapping at the rocks and branches leaving a fascinating layer of ice formations. Annoyingly I couldn't get closer than 6 feet, but I used the 55-210 to get a close up or 2...
    DSC07839_zps71cf18ff.

DSC07842_zpsf8e7f730.

DSC07847_zpsd80fb480.

Man I wished this outdoor hearth was lit!
    DSC07853_zps49b49fc0.

The uninviting bench!
    DSC07860_zps2dbb781f.

DSC07866_zpsb8073c4a.

And one last thing to share, earlier in the day, I stepped out from lunch and was confronted with the inspiration for the afore described woodland snow shot... This was shot on the iPhone6, I have to say, the lens upgrade from the iPhone5 is massive, I'm really enjoying it!
    IMG_2667_zpse04cc342.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    It was great to meet you Josė! Unfortunately, you are incorrect about me being a crazy axe murderer-you just went to the wrong woods! Thank you again for the coffee. If you had alerted me of your trip earlier, I would have sent some e-mails to arrange some more agreeable weather! Here is the aforementioned photo. Now everybody can see why I work WITH models instead of AS a model. Also, I forgot to put the camera bar on auto focus before I gave it to the gentleman at the next table to take our picture! Oops!

Enjoy the remainder of your time in the midwest, and safe travels back to Dorset!

EDIT: Goodness, the handwriting recognition on this thing made a mess of my post!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Haha!

Hey, at least he didn't ask 'How do you zoom this thing?'!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    How cool! Neither snow, nor sleet, nor dark of night will keep forum members from their appointed meet ups. Though, and I mean no offense here, but I think I'd rather meet up with Nick in Cyprus, or Colin in Changsha, than meet any of you in Wisconsin in the middle of a big freeze. :p

• Like Like x 3
  18. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    We would rather meet there as well!

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    LOL, you're always welcome David although I must say that for me, USA seems like a dream trip. Its so huge it offers a variety of things (to see and do) unlike our small island which IS nice but sometimes too boring and repeating itself :D

Very cool Jose and Vince ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    Come visit Wisconsin!

• Like Like x 1