Recommendations for sub-$200 lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jrwatson, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jrwatson

jrwatson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2014
    I finally ordered a NEX-6 to replace my much loved NEX-3N (which died when I fell into a river :frown:). In preparation for working abroad this year, my budget for lenses isn't too high. I was hoping some of you fellow NEX owners might be able to recommend affordable (sub-$200) lenses? I don't mind buying used, so long as the quality justifies the price.

My previous camera was an entry-level Canon, so I have a few low-end EF lenses I might take with me. I also have one of those surprisingly sharp $30 30mm CCTV lenses. I'd love to get a couple more decent prime lenses. Any recommendations?

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Are you looking for e mount or legacy manual focus?

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Jrwatson, any "requirements"? Looking for AF or MF? Or just looking for good lenses?
    I am a huge fan of the Minolta MC 58mm f1.4. It is not as fast or as popular (I don't think) as the 1.2, but I have been super happy with mine that I bought from a local camera shop in excellent condition for less than $100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    If you are looking at legacy lenses would recommend the Minolta Rokkor 50mm F1.4 and/or 35mm F2.8. With some patience you should be able to pick up both together for under $200.

In terms of autofocus you may be able to get the 19mm Sigma, which is highly regarded? The Sony 55-210mm used would be possible too.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    If your looking for native AF lenses your choices are down to the excellent Sigma (19mm, 30mm, 60mm) primes. You can also pick up the Sony 16mm pancake for less than $200. All other native lenses will be more than $200. Your have many options if you go legacy manual with adapters.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    How about the Sony 20mm for $159 or the 16mm for $149? The 16mm + the UWA makes for a really good wide.

7. leemik

leemik TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    It would help if you told us what focal lengths you are looking for and what you'll be shooting mostly

8. jrwatson

jrwatson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2014
    Thanks for the replies! No requirements, though I'd probably prefer prime lenses that aren't physically too large; I even really like my cheapo 35mm CCTV lens (I like the kit lens, but it seems pretty much anything would outperform it), so I wouldn't need the highest-quality glass--just decently sharp enough, with a preferably wide aperture.

I'll look into the 19mm Sigma and the 20mm Sony, thanks! I think I'd like one ~$150-200 e-mount prime, and a couple sub-$75 adapted lenses from the same mount system.

Thanks, I'll look into those! Do they both use the A-mount?

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Sigma 30 is very sharp and cheap ($100 or so used). And AF.

Any legacy 50mm will be dirt cheap and sharp, especially stopped down to f4.

I had 3 different copies of Minolta MD 50/1.7 ranging in price from $25 to $5 and all three are very sharp a couple clicks from wide open, still sharp enough at f1.7, and with great color and bokeh. I am sure that Canon or Olympus nifty 50s would be just as good. And they are small and light, even with adapter. And Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro is my absolute favorite, with prime like IQ and can be found cheaply on CL.

10. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Best everyday lens for that price point would be the Sigma 30mm.
    Perhaps you can try to get the old version chaeper on the bay, but I recomend the newer Art version.

11. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    No those are technically Minolta SR mount, but you will see it described as MD or MC mount. You can dumb adapters off ebay for very cheap