Recommendations for New Orleans

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Good evening - I am on a last minute flight to New Orleans for a conference - and I believe I will have some time to get out for some photo ops - Looking for ideas or thoughts on some "can't miss" places or things to see during the week...Thanks in advance for any ideas.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I was there for a conference at the end of last October. I only had late afternoons and evenings and was staying down in the French Quarter. A lot of course depends on what you like to see. Bourbon street is like a giant street party - not really my thing but certainly a site to see. I found it more interesting and a lot calmer east of there, e.g. Royal has a lot of small shops and such. There is a really nice walk along the Mississippi river, where you'll also find a steamboat that periodically plays a calliope. Moving further north, Jackson Square is worth checking out, though by the time I got there it was fairly dark but it is a very scenic area for picture taking if you can get there before dark. We also spent a nice evening in a few jazz clubs a little north and east of there around the Frenchmen Street area.

I did not have a lot of excess time due to the conference I was attending, so I only was able to visit these few areas. There is a lot to do and see even just in the French Quarter, and I was without a car and so did not get beyond that area. It is interesting to just walk around as the architecture and look-and-feel of the place is quite out of the ordinary.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
For some very unusual new Orleans images, try the French Quarter right after dawn. It has a particularly sleepy ambiance at that time and the iron railings make some wonderful shadow patterns. People washing sidewalks, delivery vans and the residue of last night's frolickers edging their way home...

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
For some very unusual new Orleans images, try the French Quarter right after dawn. It has a particularly sleepy ambiance at that time and the iron railings make some wonderful shadow patterns. People washing sidewalks, delivery vans and the residue of last night's frolickers edging their way home...
I think that's generally true for every city: there's quite a different atmosphere in the early mornings, in the vein of what you describe.

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Some mixed shots from my first couple of days... NOLA is interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom