1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Recommendations for New Orleans

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Kmac76, Jun 10, 2019 at 9:57 PM.

1. Kmac76

Kmac76 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    Kevin
    Good evening - I am on a last minute flight to New Orleans for a conference - and I believe I will have some time to get out for some photo ops - Looking for ideas or thoughts on some "can't miss" places or things to see during the week...Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I was there for a conference at the end of last October. I only had late afternoons and evenings and was staying down in the French Quarter. A lot of course depends on what you like to see. Bourbon street is like a giant street party - not really my thing but certainly a site to see. I found it more interesting and a lot calmer east of there, e.g. Royal has a lot of small shops and such. There is a really nice walk along the Mississippi river, where you'll also find a steamboat that periodically plays a calliope. Moving further north, Jackson Square is worth checking out, though by the time I got there it was fairly dark but it is a very scenic area for picture taking if you can get there before dark. We also spent a nice evening in a few jazz clubs a little north and east of there around the Frenchmen Street area.

I did not have a lot of excess time due to the conference I was attending, so I only was able to visit these few areas. There is a lot to do and see even just in the French Quarter, and I was without a car and so did not get beyond that area. It is interesting to just walk around as the architecture and look-and-feel of the place is quite out of the ordinary.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2018
    For some very unusual new Orleans images, try the French Quarter right after dawn. It has a particularly sleepy ambiance at that time and the iron railings make some wonderful shadow patterns. People washing sidewalks, delivery vans and the residue of last night's frolickers edging their way home...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I think that's generally true for every city: there's quite a different atmosphere in the early mornings, in the vein of what you describe.

5. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2018
  6. Kmac76

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    Kevin
    The museum is on my list for tomorrow- I’ve heard it’s awesome.

7. Kmac76

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    Kevin
    C078D893-0CF5-4CB0-A582-24BFFD0AC3B6.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    955981E7-ED62-41BD-B7F2-3BC25B55197B.jpeg
    F1C3080F-AC08-4FFF-A0CA-8BA1CBEC981A.jpeg
    2424BAA5-A9A2-4852-AC27-4AB2EE73590C.jpeg
    Some mixed shots from my first couple of days... NOLA is interesting, to say the least.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    • Like Like x 4
  8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    That last one speaks volumes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.